BENEFITING: MELANOMA RESEARCH ALLIANCE FOUNDATION
EVENT DATE: May 23, 2015
Melanoma Research Alliance (MRA) has been an invaluable resource in our personal fight against melanoma.
- MRA is the largest private funder of melanoma research, having awarded more than $60 million to 144 research programs to make transforming advances in the prevention, diagnosis and staging, and treatment of melanoma.
- Due to the generosity of MRA’s founders, Debra and Leon Black, 100% of all donations goes directly to melanoma research.
Additional noteworthy facts include:
- Survival for melanoma patients with advanced disease was static at less than 15%, however new treatment is changing statistics and providing hope.
- In 2011, the FDA approved new melanoma treatments for the first time in several decades. Since then, the FDA has approved a total of eight treatments for melanoma, underscoring the remarkable progress that has been made in a very short time period.
- Though good progress has been made in understanding and treating the disease, much more research is necessary before durable treatments become standard.