NEIGHBORHOOD PARKS COUNCIL via Crowdrise
April 22, 2011
BENEFITING: NEIGHBORHOOD PARKS COUNCIL
SUPPORT INTENSIVE GARDEN-BASED EDUCATION FOR SAN FRANCISCO YOUTH!
Dig in and help us support 27 under-served youth experience this unique summer program.
In 2007 Garden for the Environment (a fabulous local teaching garden) and Urban Sprouts (a fabulous school garden-based education program) joined forces to increase opportunities for local youth to gain experience in gardening, leadership, health & nutrition, and environmental justice. Summer Sprouts was born. Summer Sprouts, a job-training and leadership development program, employs and trains high school students to lead an intensive two-week program for local middle and high school students. Students leave our program inspired and educated to live healthier lives.
During Summer Sprouts students will:
• Cook and eat healthy meals from the garden every day
• Create and lead educational skits and presentations
• Facilitate conversations about healthy food systems, recycling, composting, and nutrition
• Build environmental literacy
• Educate peers, families, and community members on lessons learned during our Summer Sprouts program completion celebration
• Become skilled peer educators
To see a video produced by the youth television program Eco Company on our Summer Sprouts program please click here.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!
All donors will be invited to a special Garden Party on July 16th in the GFE garden!
For more information:
Urban Sprouts is a project of the Neighborhood Parks Council, a 501(c)3 organization