Laura Geiselhart Andlauer via Crowdrise
April 17, 2012
BENEFITING: Surfrider Foundation
ORGANIZER: Groupon Earth Day Challenge
EVENT: Groupon Earth Day Challenge
EVENT DATE: Apr 16, 2012
Groupon Earth Day Challenge wrote -
A little over 25 years ago three people in Malibu, California found out that their favorite wave was about to be destroyed. Think about that for a second. Think about something you love... something that gives you enjoyment. Taken away. This was the genesis of Surfrider Foundation. Surfrider's mission is the protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network.
You can think about that as three concepts. "Protection and enjoyment", we don't want to put a velvet rope around a beach and tell people to keep off. We're surfers, we're beach goers, we're watermen... we enjoy the coasts. We're a user group. Next up is "oceans, waves and beaches." Think coastlines, we're engaged with environmental issues that affect our coastlines. "Powerful activist network" speaks to how we go about this mission. We are a grassroots organization. We're local in many coastal regions.
We're moms, we're surfers, we're kids and teens... we're you. We're engaged to protect what we love; oceans, waves and beaches.
Unrestricted support to the Surfrider Foundation gets us one step closer to our vision of Healthy Coasts and support our efforts to preserve beach access, prevent beach loss, protect special places and eliminate ocean water pollution.
Here are some examples of what your support will enable:
- $20 pays for two water tests to make sure a day at the beach is healthy and safe
- $25 provides bags and gloves to remove 500 pounds of trash from the beach
- $50 provides bags and gloves to remove 1000 pounds of trash from the beach
- $100 protects 1/4 mile of U.S. coast through our beach preservation program
- $500 educates 2,000 school children about recycling and keeping our waters clean
- $1000 sends a Surfrider staff member to Washington DC to provide concrete, real-world testimony to inform and improve legislation on coastal issues
It is our goal to be the best possible stewards of your gift.