2016 Fundraising and Marathon Wrap Up
May 02, 2016
BENEFITING: SUSAN G KOMEN Pittsburgh
ORGANIZER: SUSAN G KOMEN Pittsburgh
EVENT: Pittsburgh Marathon 2016
EVENT DATE: May 01, 2016
Thanks for visiting my fundraising page for Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh.
I'm running the 2016 Pittsburgh Marathon in memory of my mom, Toni Dudenas, who passed away in September 2013 after an 11 year battle with metastatic breast cancer.
If you knew my mom, you know the bravery, strength, and faith she endured during her long fight against cancer. I'm running to both honor her and to raise funds to help in the search for a cure for breast cancer.
Please consider making a donation to this worthy charity. You can also read more about this tremendous organization below.
Thank you for your generous support!
SUSAN G KOMEN Pittsburgh wrote -
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham, running speaker and writer
About Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh: Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh is a non-profit, breast cancer awareness organization that provides education and outreach programs to 34 counties in western and central Pennsylvania. Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among women worldwide, with more than 3.1 million breast cancer survivors worldwide. In 2015, approximately 40,000 women will die from this disease in the United States alone. While research has made incredible strides in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, the cures for this disease still elude us. To meet the breast health needs of women and men in our community and work towards our promise to end breast cancer forever, Komen Pittsburgh provides a continuum of services for women and men whose lives have been affected by breast cancer through funding screening, treatment, and education initiatives locally, as well as national breast cancer research efforts. 75% of the funds raised remain in our local affiliate service area of western and central Pennsylvania, while the remaining 25% directly funds national research.
In 2014, Komen Pittsburgh granted over $1 million dollars to local organizations for breast cancer education, screening and treatment initiatives. Komen Pittsburgh serves 34 counties in western and central Pennsylvania. Our largest funded program is the Mammogram Voucher Program, which will pay for screening and follow-up services for uninsured women and men. Komen Pittsburgh also supports breast cancer research, and in 2014 Komen Pittsburgh contributed $448,783 to the Komen National Research Grant program.
Again, please accept our sincere gratitude in running for a reason as part of Team Komen; you are truly making a difference in the lives of women and men throughout our area, and together we can look with hope to a day without breast cancer.