Tara's Fosters "OH SHIT!" Fund
Organized by: Tara McKinney
May 03, 2016
Anyone who knows me or follows my foster dogs, knows I will always spot for what I can out of my own personal funding, but there are several things currently in the works that I could really use some financial assistance with.
MABLE... Mable was found abandoned early last summer on a foreclosed property in Phoenix. She was burdened by an extremely large tumor hanging off of her abdomen, as well as a multitude of smaller ones riddling the rest of her body. Despite the physical shape she was in, her personality shined through and she loved everyone she met. She is the first and only dog I have ever taken in under my 501c3 (which was initially created for fundraising to benefit animal rescues and sanctuaries), but the rules were bent for Mable because she is a special girl and had an amazing family set up willing to foster her. Mable's initial surgery was set to spay her along with the removal of all of her tumors. The first surgery went awry a bit. It took longer than expected to remove the large tumor, and Mable wasn't handling the anesthesia very well, so they had to leave all the smaller tumors intact. We were just happy she made it out of surgery fine, and had planned on removing the smaller masses once she had made a full recovery. Before we were even able to plan her second surgery, Mable started to show some signs of pain in her back hinds. We made multiple appointments for lab work, x rays, and physical exams. We found torn ligaments in both knees and because of the pain and dysfunction it was causing her, we decided we had to operate on her knees as well. Her first knee surgery was scheduled and ready to go, but during her pre-surgical exam she was found to have a bowel obstruction. Now we were told she needed emergency surgery for that. We rushed her in the very next morning, but the obstruction seemed to be resolving on its own. The vet was not willing to proceed with the knee surgery at this time.. We would have to wait. So wait we did. Finally for the second time we got Mable in for the knee repair. We were called at the end of the day and told the other surgeries had run over in time, and again Mable's knees were on hold. The third and last visit full of x-rays, blood work, exams, etc.. Was last week. We were so excited to get things moving for our girl so she could recover and start looking for her furever home, but the bad news came again. During her pre- surgical exams, the cancer was found to have spread everywhere. There are tumors pushing on her heart and lungs, and she is no longer even a candidate for any surgical procedures. A decision was made by her foster family and myself to keep her out of the vet office for the remainder of her life. We are not sure how much time she has left with us, but I am determined to make this the most positive experience it could possibly be for all involved. Her foster family has been presented with a certificate of adoption, meaning I will continue to provide all of the medications and end of life care for her, but she officially belongs to them and them to her, as it should be. I would also like to use an in-home euthanasia service when the time comes, so we can surround her with love and help her pass in her own home where she is comfortable. The service coupled with the cremation and return of remains totals $635 plus some travel fees. Please help us make Mable's cross over the rainbow bridge a beautiful experience after all of the hardships her and her family have been through.
CARL... Late last year, Carl (aka DOG) was spotted by some friends of mine during their travels to and from the Prescott area. They saw him caged in a yard, left with only a frozen mattress that was covered in feces and trash. Eventually, they approached the home to enquire about the care of the dog. The family said they didn't want to take care of him and happily surrendered Carl to my friends to foster and adopt out. After 8 weeks in their home, they realized they had gotten in over their heads when their two resident dogs and Carl were continuously getting into fights. The fights were getting worse, and they knew we had the experience to help, so we took over the foster care of Carl at this time. He settled in fairly well with us, but clearly lacked in training. He is very smart, cute as can be, and still just a young pup, so he has lots of potential, he just needs help adjusting to a home life. Carl has now been in a Foster to Adopt situation for several weeks. This family would absolutely love to make them their own, but Carl is having some serious adjustment issues. Regardless of the outcome of his current situation, he will need some work with a trainer. Training can get expensive very quickly, and I'm honestly not sure how much it will take, but his issues are ones I am unfamiliar with handling, so I will need some guidance. His resource guarding is off the charts, and he is now jumping high brick walls to take after other dogs strolling around the neighborhood. We could really use some help to get him on the right path and on his way to staying in a permanent home!
PIPPY... Oh, Pippy. Most will remember this guy as being my long time (one year) foster just previous to our intake of Zona in December 2014. Pip was a young guy rescued by Medical Animals in Need, but even after her recovered from his condition known as "Happy Tail", he remained in rescue for years before finding his furever home. Pippy has spent nearly a year and a half in his new home, but I recently announced he would be returning to rescue. I have kept many of the details of his return quiet because it's a complicated situation and some of it would be disrespectful to air out to the public. Here's what I can say about the situation at this point. Pippy's family's dynamics have changed drastically. He is not back physically with the rescue at this point, but still with his dad. After many conversations over what is best for all people involved as well as Pippy, we are all in agreeance it would be best everyone if Pippy was able to find some way to stay with his dad. Although we will continue to network Pip as “up for adoption” because he is such a hard to place pup (needs to be an only dog), "behind the scenes”, we are working feverishly to keep Pippy and his dad in a home suitable for both of them. They love and rely on each other very much. I have meetings and ideas set up in place to make this possible, but we may need some financial help in the beginning as they will be looking for a new place of residence due the circumstances at hand. If Pippy comes back to rescue, he WILL go into boarding, which is an expensive and terrible situation for him. If possible, I would like to raise enough money to keep Pip's family together for as long as possible which will hopeful give them the push they need to be able to keep Pippy where he belongs, with the person who committed to him over a year ago. I understand it's hard to donate towards something when you are unaware of all of the details, but I assure you, Pippy and dad are best off if they are able to stay with each other in this time of unforeseen circumstances laid upon their family.