Teachers21 Board of Directors wrote -
Join us as we invest in educational excellence
It is an exciting time for Teachers21, and the Teachers21 Board of Directors is pleased to announce the launch of a $15,000 matching gift challenge to establish full and partial scholarships for teachers to attend programs such as:
- either one of the Urban Principals Development Institute's year-long flagship offerings - the Program for Aspiring Principals or the Program for Newly Appointed Principals and Assistant Principals (for more information, click on the links above or see below)
- one of the organization’s newest offerings in Science, Technology & Engineering (STE) (for more information, click on the previous link or see below)
What is our goal?
We would like to send as many deserving educators as possible to attend the programs above, and to that end have launched a campaign to raise $15,000 to help establish full and/or partial scholarships for teachers.
How can you double your impact?
If you donate by January 31st, Teachers21 will match all donations dollar-for-dollar (up to $15,000) thereby doubling your impact.
What is the Urban Principals Development Institute?
The Urban Principals Development Institute (UPDI) targets highly qualified educators interested in tackling the challenges of leading an urban school. Now in its fifth year, Teachers21 has been working in partnership with the NYC Leadership Academy, the most prominent principal preparation program in the country. UPDI offers two year-long programs—one for Aspiring Principals and another for Newly Appointed Principals and Assistant Principals. Both programs are organized around problem-based learning approaches, which research has shown yield more effective skills in decision making, problem diagnosis, consensus building and teamwork.
- The Program for Aspiring Principals offers preparation for licensure as well as the option of earning a M.Ed. in Organizational Management. It begins with a month-long Summer Intensive organized around a scenario school based on the performance data and contextual features characterizing one of the lowest performing schools in the Commonwealth. Every participant then receives a 360-degree performance evaluation. During the school year that follows, candidates experience a nine-week internship under the supervision of a mentor principal as well as sixteen full-day seminars and 1:1 coaching from an experienced master principal. Tuition: $14,500
- The Program for Newly Appointed Principals & Assisted Principals offers a one-week summer orientation session, 1:1 coaching from a senior practitioner throughout the first on-the-job year, and a mid-year retreat that brings the new principals and their leadership teams together for a day of assessment, reflection, planning, and course correction, if needed. Tuition: $10,000
The STE offerings are designed to enhance STE education and to address the new STE standards. These courses are enhanced versions of some of the most effective Teachers21 STEM courses available to STE educators.
Teachers21 is preparing content-based science courses and workshops that will be offered to K-8 teachers who need to learn – or relearn – science content. These courses/workshops have been designed to allow the instructor to assist the participants (the classroom teachers) while they design and implement inquiry-based investigations based on the new standards.
- The participants will work through a variety of investigations that cover the K-8 standards. These investigations will be designed for K-8 students and will eventually be modified by the participants.
- The participants divide into grade-level groups and focus on the standards in the grade level that they teach. During this time participants will design and implement an investigation that they can use in their classroom.
- The instructor will assist and oversee the development of transfer goals, ensuring understanding, and essential questions to guide the curriculum unit.
- There will be a minimum number of follow-up hours required for all participants in which they will be required to develop or modify one additional curriculum unit for their classroom.
Tuition for these programs is as follows:
- STE course: $895
- STE workshop: $195