BENEFITING: MILES AGAINST MELANOMA
EVENT DATE: Jun 06, 2015
Please join us for a 5K walk to fight Melanoma by raising awareness, support patients and their families, and raise funds for research. We will walk in support of Julie (Bextermiller) Corbett, as she fights her Melanoma battle.
The walk is Saturday, June 6th at 5:30 PM. 370 Lakeside Park in St. Peters. Cost is $25 in advance and $30 the day of the race.
Miles Against Melanoma is a national organization that began in 2010. Our mission is to provide the public with education regarding the extreme damaging effects of the sun and tanning devices. Through MAM’s mission, we provide funding for awareness, education, advocacy and research for skin cancer, melanoma and cancers related to melanoma.
Mission, Message and Vision of Miles Against Melanoma:
* To increase awareness of malignant melanoma and skin cancer through education, advocacy and research
* To advocate for detection and to obtain skin examinations. We help people find dermatologists in their area as well.
* To ease the burden and to provide support for melanoma patients, caregivers and medical professionals through financial aid
* To create a national association to aid in providing support to those with melanoma
* To ultimately find a cure for melanoma
Our goal is to spread to every city in the United States to change the mindset of Americans and bring about community awareness in every state!
Growth Goals for 2014
Miles Against Melanoma has several events slated for 2014. As such, we have set a fundraising goal of $100,000 to donate to organization. We are also looking to increase our national presence by 10%.
- $16,000 was donated to Dr. Lynn Cornelius and the Melanoma Multidisciplinary team at Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes- Jewish Hospital (BJC – The Richard A Crowder Memorial Research Fund).
- $18,000 was donated to UT Southwestern Medical Center
- $20,000 was donated to University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute Melanoma Clinic
- $1000 was donated to MD Anderson to support their Moonshots Program
- In All, $86,000 was raised in 2013 and donated to many organizations who are finding a cure for melanoma