BENEFITING: BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF NYC
ORGANIZER: BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS OF NYC
EVENT DATE: Nov 04, 2012
On November 4th I am running with Big Brothers Big Sisters NYC for this year's ING Marathon.
Our team's goal is to raise $3000 dollars each for the run. 100% of the proceeds will go towards connecting mentors with incredible kids. For those of you unfamiliar with how it works, there is an extensive process that BBBS facilitates to make sure that mentors are safe, trained, and well prepared as well as making sure the child and parent(s) are active in making the relationship succeed. All of this preparation ensures that the little can get the most out of the experience.
Since 2009 I have been involved with BBBS as a Big Brother. Sometimes, I wonder and hope that my little, Kelanu, is getting out of this experience half of what I am. On any one of our activities, whether it's a baseball game, walk, museum gander, art class or just hanging out in the park, he continually puts me in awe at how bright and capable this 8 year old boy is. Im so excited to see whats to become and have decided to run this race to give other kids and mentors the same opportunity that he and I have had.
Please help and DONATE ANY amount to help reach my goal of $3000.
Also, please forward this Link to anyone that might be interested...like your office, friends and family;)
Facts about mentoring
- 96 percent of BBBS Littles were promoted to the next grade level.
- 96 percent of BBBS Littles graduated from high school (vs 65 percent for New York City)
- Our youth also see marked gains in self confidence, relationship building with peers and family and ability to avoid risky behavior including notable outcomes as follows:
- Recidivism: In New York state 53% of youth are re-arrested within the first year after incarceration, as compared to only 2% of BBBS youth being re-arrested after being in our program for at least one year
- Repeat pregnancy: Nationally 20% of teen moms have a repeat pregnancy, as compared to only 3% of BBBS young mothers after being matched in our program for at least one year
A few ways your donations are used
- $2,000 – Supports a mentoring match for one year
- $1,000 - Supports tutoring sessions for our middle school Littles and helps them with the process for applying to High School
- $500 – Sponsors Littles to attend College tours and receive follow up college counseling sessions
- $250 – Emergency Fund: Provides a “cushion” for our families in their time of need
- $100 – Supports a Littles Educational Workshop (SAT preparation, college essay writing, Financial Aid workshop)
- $25 – Sponsor a mentoring match outing (a visit to a NYC landmark, sporting event or cultural activity)