BENEFITING: BIG D POWDERPUFF TACKLING ALZHEIMERS INC
ORGANIZER: BIG D POWDERPUFF TACKLING ALZHEIMERS INC
WHY I PLAY:
- I'm back for my 3rd season on Team Blonde to raise money and awareness for Alzheimer's Disease in honor of my grandma, Joy Johnson, who passed away last year after 7 long, heart breaking years struggling with Alzheimer's and Dementia.
REASONS YOU SHOULD DONATE:
- There are currently 5.4 million (3.3 million are women) Americans living with this disease... but that number is ever growing, as someone in the U.S. develops Alzheimer's every 66 seconds.
- It is the 6th leading cause of death in the U.S. and it is the ONLY disease in the top 10 that can NOT be prevented, cured, or even slowed.
- Deaths from Alzheimer's increased 71% from 2000 to 2013
- Nearly half of care contributors (those who are caregivers of someone with Alzheimer's and/or contribute financially to their care) cut back on their own expenses (food, transportation, medical care) to pay for dementia-related care of a family member or friend. Care contributors are 28% more likely than other adults to eat less or go hungry because they cannot afford to pay for food.
- In 2016, the direct costs to American society of caring for those with Alzheimer's will total an estimated $236 billion, with just under half of the costs borne by Medicare
- UT Southwestern
- Center for BrainHealth
- Baylor AT&T Memory Center!
If you haven't been personally affected by this disease, I can guarantee you know someone who has been and will continue to be. Please join us in this fight to find a way to tackle Alzheimer's disease!