Thanks for visiting my fundraising page...if you are reading this, then that means you are donating, so thank you (I mean, you are donating, right?!?)!
I am once again running the Boston Marathon for the Cancer Patient Support Services Fund at Boston Medical Center (BMC). This is my fifth and final year running the marathon for cancer patients at BMC*.
*Please note, this is probably not my final year running the marathon for cancer patients at BMC, I just put that in to sound more dramatic...it worked though, didn't it? :)
Over the past four years - because of the generous donations from all of you - I've raised more than $40,000 for the Cancer Patient Support Services Fund! This fund includes important services such as cancer support groups, transportation to and from appointments, care packages and interpreter services. BMC serves people who come from some of Boston’s poorest neighborhoods who really depend on these services.
I am committed to raising another $10,000 for people who are less fortunate than us, and I can only do it with your help!
Running 26.2 miles is not an easy thing to do, but it will be a whole lot easier knowing I have support from all of you! As if you needed more of a reason to donate, here are 26.2 reasons why you should donate to my charity and ways to do it:
1. Because Boston Medical Center is Boston’s largest provider of world-class health care and is devoted to the belief that every person, regardless of their social or economic status, deserves the best health care.
2. Because I go through a lot of pain training for the marathon! Last year I pulled two muscles, had shin splints three times, almost froze to death eight times and got nine blisters on my feet!
3. Because it’s embarrassing and dangerous training for the marathon! Last year I slipped on ice and fell in public six times, got splashed on with dirty water by one bus and almost got hit by a car four times!
4. Because you know someone who has lost their life to cancer.
5. Because you know someone battling cancer.
6. Because you know someone who is a cancer survivor.
7. Because your donation is tax deductible (BMC’s tax ID number: 04-3314093).
8. Because cancer is the #2 killer of all Americans, and the #1 killer of younger Americans.
9. Because if I beat all the elite runners and come in first place, I will mention you in my victory speech (please don't get your hopes up on this one haha)!
10. Because on Marathon Monday you get to drink beer and party while I run 26.2 miles.
11. Because not only do the majority of cancer patients at BMC have to worry about having cancer, they also have to worry about being poor.
12. Because spending money on yourself is overrated…now if you’ll excuse me, the package I ordered for myself from Amazon is here…
13. Because more than half of the patients have an annual income at or below $20,420.
14. Because the Cancer Patient Support Services Fund provides many crucial, but non reimbursable services for cancer patients including: interpreter services, cancer support groups, care packages and transportation to and from appointments.
15. Because you want to do your good deed for the day and donate to charity!
16. Because I’ll invite you over for a delicious pasta dinner the night before the marathon…oh wait…you’re not running the marathon…I guess you can still come, but you’ll eat salad.
17. Because you will be making a huge difference in the lives of those with cancer.
18. Because you will help cancer patients receive the best care at BMC’s Moakley Building, a best-in-class, centralized cancer care facility.
19. Because I'll invite you to join me on one of my grueling, exhausting, painful 20-mile runs...oh wait...I'm trying to find reasons to make you want to donate...hmm...disregard this reason...
20. Because if you donate I’ll make you a playlist with my running songs…hope you like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Journey!
21. Donate $26.20 – A dollar for every mile I’ll run in the marathon!
22. Donate $42 – A dollar for every kilometer I’ll run in the marathon!
23. Donate $116 – For the 116th Boston Marathon!
24. Donate $650 – A dollar for every mile I’ll run in training!
25. Donate $2,640 – A dollar for every foot I climb on Heartbreak Hill!
26. Donate and find out if your company has a matching gift program …many companies do, so it’s worth asking!
.2 There will always be one reason or another not to donate, but you’ve just read 26 outstanding reasons as to why you should and what you can do!
Thank you for making a difference!