BOSTON RISING INC wrote -
About Boston Rising
Boston Rising is an antipoverty fund. Our mission is to end the cycle of poverty once and for all in Boston by clearing the way for the next Rising Class. We do two things: we mobilize resources and we invest for huge impact. This year, we will be investing in the enhancement of education and social connections.
Investing in Education
A quality education is a key driver for anyone looking to build a better life for him or herself. Among other investment areas, Boston Rising is committed to funding initiatives along an education continuum from cradle to career readiness. Our approach is to invest in the ecosystem of schools in and surrounding Grove Hall, with the objective of strengthening these institutions. At the same time, Boston Rising works to increase access to and choice among outstanding educational opportunities for residents of the neighborhood.
This year's marathon as a tool to reach our investment goals in the area of education, benefitting the William Monroe Trotter School, Boston Latin Academy, and the Jeremiah E. Burke High School.
Proceeds supporting education from this year's Marathon will:
- Enhance student engagement and learning efficiency through increased access to technology
- Extend library after-school hours
- Provide subsidies for students to attend field trips who would otherwise be unable to pay
- Support the formation of additional student clubs
Investing in Social Connections
The mission of Grove Hall Trust is to enhance the quality of life in Grove Hall by growing local ideas. The Grove Hall Trust makes grants to resident-led groups to spur small, grassroots community efforts. Residents may use the grant for a variety of activities and projects, and residents are encouraged to think in new ways about what will work in Grove Hall and how they connect with their neighbors.
This year's marathon will support projects that promote and encourage community through innovative activities that increase the social connections and social capital within and among community members. This could include:
- Neighbor Circles organizing between residents
- Neighborhood revitalization projects
- Block parties
- Halloween Safe Street Parties
- Multi-cultural events and activities that specifically strengthen community ties