BENEFITING: World of Children Inc
ORGANIZER: World of Children Inc
EVENT: San Francisco Marathon 2014
EVENT DATE: Jul 27, 2014
World of Children Inc wrote -
By race day on July 27, our team plans to raise $5,000 for children who cannot walk or run because of a limb disability. 100% of funds raised will help children run for the first time, funding the cost of prosthetic limbs, corrective surgery and more.
Every mile helps a child walk and run!
You're not just running a race when you join Team Changemakers for Children. You're becoming a child's lifelong hero. Every mile you run and every penny you raise ensures that children with a limb disability can walk, run and achieve their dreams.
Your support helps children like Alex and Maverick, two young boys from Ecuador who are congenital amputees, meaning they were born without one of their limbs. Like so many disabled children in developing countries, Alex and Maverick could not look forward to a future of independence and opportunity.
Thanks to our Honoree, Mead Welles, Alex and Maverick received prosthetic limbs and medical care. Now, they are not just walking, but running. They are pictured here getting ready to run in their very first 5k race.
Your support will help children like Alex and Maverick walk, run, and thrive.
The Power of Your Donation
Support children with limb disabilities by underwriting the cost of a child's leg brace, mobility aid, prosthetic limb, or corrective surgery.
- $25 – Leg Brace. Leg braces help children with conditions like Spina Bifida, cerebral palsy or the lingering effects of polio walk and stand more easily. $25 is the average cost of a leg brace.
- $100 - Mobility Aid. Canes, crutches, walkers and wheelchairs give children with a limb disability greater independence to get around.
- $250 – Prosthetic Limb. $250 is the average cost to fit a child with a prosthetic limb, which includes rehabilitation and follow-up procedures to ensure treatment is effective.
- $500 – Corrective Surgery. Children with severe complications or deformities can sometimes receive surgery to correct their limb disability. Corrective surgery has been shown to improve motor skills, balance and coordination as well as dramatically increase a child’s ability to be independent. $500 is the average cost of corrective surgery.
- $5,000 - Complete Treatment. Children between the ages of 4 and 16 grow at an average rate of 0.75" every year. This means that children missing an arm or leg need to be fitted with new prosthetics to accommodate their growing bodies. $5,000 will fund a child's prosthetic limb replacements until they turn 19.
- Awesomely stylish World of Children Award swag to flaunt during the race
- Ongoing fundraising and motivational support
- Special post-race reception to celebrate!
How to Join
Step 1: Register for the race at www.thesfmarathon.com.
Step 2: Return to the Team Changemakers for Children Crowdrise page. Create your own fundraising page by clicking "Fundraise for this Campaign."
Step 3: Share your page with family and friends to start raising money for children!
World of Children Award improves the lives of vulnerable children by funding and elevating the most effective changemakers for children worldwide. Every year, we search the globe for individuals who are making an extraordinary difference in the lives of vulnerable children. We then honor them with our annual Awards and grant them funding to advance their work.
Since 1998, World of Children Award has invested over $6 million in programs led by 100 Honorees serving vulnerable children in countries around the world.