Cody Simpson via Crowdrise
February 19, 2012
BENEFITING: Defeat the Label
EVENT DATE: May 04, 2012
At some point in life, we've all felt the pain caused from social labeling. I know that I have and that's why this cause is so important to me. I hope that you'll think it's important too, and that you'll support Defeat the Label, hit the "donate" button on the right, or even better, fundraise with me.
Here are some things about bullying that you might not know:
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied.
- 1 in 7 students is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- Over 50% of all bullying incidents go unreported.
- Bullying intervention by adults is 4%, by peers is 11% and no intervention is 85%.
- 6 out of 10 American teens witness bullying at least once a day.
- 1 out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- About 282,000 students are reportedly attached in high school in the U.S. each month.
- 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- 90% of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
- An estimated 160,000 students miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death amongst young people, and kids that are bulled are 50% more likely to consider taking their own life.
- Nearly 1/3 of middle school students have been the object of sexual jokes, comments or gestures. Another 15% have been bullied or harassed because of their religion or race.
Enough is enough. It's time for all of us to join this amazing cause and Defeat the Label together. Now is the time to stand up against bullying. Join me and all my friends on Stand 4 Change Day and be part of this historic day for the anti-bullying movement.
Imagine millions of kids, students and teachers "Stand 4 Change" to put an end to bullying. On May 4, 2012 at 12:00 p.m. EST, that image will become a reality as we all stop, stand and let the world know that we won't tolerate bullying in our schools and our communities. Your participation in this huge community action will show people across the globe that it is not only okay to stand up to bullying, it is the right thing to do. Together, we can improve the lives of millions for all kids and teens just like us and help to save lives in the process.
We can all work together to promote an inclusive, judgment-free society, void of social labels and stereotypes. Working together with Defeat the Label, I'm showing my commitment to building a society where all kids and teens are recognized not for their physical form, but for the superior, equal and worthy soul within.
The Defeat the Label website, their in-school programs and weekly missions are social advocacy tools to help us take a stand and put a stop to bullying. And, now Defeat the Label's HOTLINE will be coming soon, too. That means that they'll have live people that we can talk and text with when bullying gets us down.
This cause is so important to me. I hope it's important to you, too.
Thanks for your support.