There are ONE BILLION people – about one in eight people on Earth – who lack access to clean water. More than twice that many, 2.5 billion people, live without basic sanitation. This is a devastating issue that leads to rampant and totally preventable waterborne disease, taking the lives of 3.5 million every year and killing a child every 20 seconds.
The P&G Children's Safe Drinking Water Program provides clean drinking water to people who really need it.
To date, the Children's Safe Drinking Water Program has delivered over 3 billion liters of clean drinking water. And we are committed to delivering four billion liters by 2012. Our new goal is to save one life every hour by delivering more than 2 billion liters of clean drinking water every year by 2020.
Contaminated drinking water is a major problem.
• Almost one billion people do not have access to safe water.
• Diarrhea caused by drinking contaminated water remains a leading cause of illness and death among infants and children in the developing world.
• About 1.8 million children die every year due to diarrheal diseases.
• More children die from diarrheal illnesses like cholera and dysentery than from HIV/AIDS or malaria combined.
• P&G has collaborated with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) since 1995 to develop safe drinking water systems that people can easily use in their homes.
Are you up for the challenge? Start your mission at SUMMIT ON THE SUMMIT and start your own fundraiser to help us make a difference.
HOW TO HELP
1. BECOME A SUMMIT SEEKER If you haven't already, be sure to register to become a SUMMIT SEEKER to earn points here at Crowdrise as well as qualify to win incredible prizes from SUMMIT ON THE SUMMIT partners.
2. Click CREATE YOUR YOUR OWN FUNDRAISING PAGE and you'll get your own fundraising page in seconds and can show off your mad fundraising skills.
3. SHARE Spread the word about SUMMIT ON THE SUMMIT to friends and family.
See you at the top!