BENEFITING: EASTERN ILLINOIS FOODBANK
ORGANIZER: EASTERN ILLINOIS FOODBANK
EASTERN ILLINOIS FOODBANK wrote -The Eastern Illinois Foodbank exists to alleviate hunger in eastern Illinois by providing a reliable source of food for the hungry through cooperation with a network of food pantries and agencies.
This is the first year EIF will have a team running in the Illinois Marathon! Every dollar raised is equivalent to 4 meals for hungry individuals and families in our community. Every runner that raises at least $25 (or 100 meals) will receive an awesome EIF "Will Run for Food" headband to wear on race day.
- Champaign County’s poverty rate is estimated at 21%—higher than Cook County’s. The Federal Poverty Level (FPL) is currently set at $22,050 per year for a family of four.
- Champaign County has third-highest poverty rate in Illinois (23.4%). Only Jackson & Alexander counties have a higher poverty rate.
- 1 in 4 children in eastern Illinois struggles with hunger. 1 in every 3 clients served by the Eastern Illinois Foodbank is a child
- In the past year, the Eastern Illinois Foodbank provided 7 million pounds of food and grocery product (including 1 million pounds of fresh produce) to over 220 agencies and programs feeding the hungry.
- Foodbank member agencies (food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters) serve 100,000 people each year.