CREATIVE ALTERNATIVES OF NEW YORK wrote -
Empower people to ACT UP and OUT!
CANY drama therapy helps people to re-connect, re-build and re-imagine their lives. Together we can help others to ACT UP and OUT of the traumas, abuse, neglect and violence that have held them back.
Would you help us change a life?
In the next 30 days my goal is to raise $10,000 to support CANY and their programs helping people like Roberta.
Here is her story:
“Roberta”, felt depressed and hopeless, so much so she was in a special therapeutic high school. Traditional therapy wasn’t working. CANY drama therapy group got her engaged in a new and non-linear way. We got her on her feet, interacting with others and creating stories. Through the process Roberta was able to re-connect with her imagination and envision new possibilities for herself. Fast forward till now, Roberta was recently cast in an off-off Broadway play written by teens for teens about their experiences with mental illness.
Roberta’s success is the kind of hope and change that ignites what we do.
CANY’s drama therapy groups enable people who have endured traumatic events and circumstances to find ways to build new emotional and behavioral skills. The results: Our participants gain a greater understanding of themselves, relate to others by building stronger interpersonal connections, and find success in their lives.
- $100 will provide three 90-minute sessions for a child living in a residential care center who has endured chronic abuse and neglect
- $150 will provide for 6 weeks of drama therapy treatment for an adult on the autism spectrum
- $300 will provide for 1 drama therapy group treatment for 12 veterans coping with trauma and transitioning home
- $800 will provide for 36 weeks of drama therapy treatment for 1 teenager struggling with social and emotional isolation
- $1,300 will provide for 6 weeks of drama therapy treatment for women survivors of domestic violence and their children living in safe houses
Any other amount would be greatly appreciated.
Find out more about CANY: http://www.cany.org/.