BENEFITING: ALLIANCE FOR A HEALTHIER GENERATION
ORGANIZER: ALLIANCE FOR A HEALTHIER GENERATION
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2011
LET’S END CHILDHOOD OBESITY TOGETHER!
On November 6, I will be running in the ING NYC Marathon as a part of Team Alliance - the first marathon team the Alliance has ever had! I have personally committed to raising $10,000 for the Alliance for a Healthier Generation in an effort to address one of the nation’s leading public health threats—childhood obesity.
In case you didn’t know…
- Nearly 1 in 3 kids is already overweight or obese.
- Today’s generation could be the first to live shorter lives than their parents.
- Health experts predict that the medical cost of obesity on the healthcare system will reach $1 trillion annually by 2030.
By pledging funds on my behalf or joining the cause as a fundraiser, YOU become a part of the solution in the fight against the childhood obesity epidemic.
Please help support Team Alliance by making a donation on my Crowdrise page or by making a general donation in support of the entire Team Alliance.
Together, we can end childhood obesity and empower kids to live healthier lives.
Thank you for your support!
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE:
Founded in 2005 by the American Heart Association and William J. Clinton Foundation, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation works to positively affect the places that can make a difference in a child’s health: homes, schools, doctor’s offices, and communities. The goal of the Alliance is to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity by 2015, and to empower kids nationwide to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Check out what the Alliance has accomplished so far in just five short years...
- The Healthy Schools Program has helped nearly 80 percent of schools enrolled in the program (12,000+ enrolled) implement new health-promoting policy and systems changes
- Alliance’s School Meals Initiative has convened 13 leading food manufacturers and purchasing organizations to make healthier school meals more affordable and available to 36 million+ students
- The Kids’ Movement has built the capacity of more than 400 local afterschool programs and community-based organizations to offer health education and leadership programs
- The Alliance School Beverage Agreement has led to an 88 percent reduction in total beverage calories shipped to U.S. schools between 2004 and 2009
- The Alliance Healthcare Initiative has led to more than 2 million children gaining access to preventative health benefits
- The Alliance has been chosen as one of the top ten charities in the child health/nutrition space by Philanthropedia
- The Alliance is one of six founding members of First Lady Obama’s Partnership for a Healthier America
If you would like to see how the Alliance has made an impact in your community, click here to access our online searchable archive of success stories.