Jeffrey Oram wrote -
The first team in my "Tri-ing for a Cause" effort is an organization that is very close to our little family: HerShe
Lauren, in fact, is very invested in this organization as a mentor and fundraiser - trust me, you'll know about the fundraiser when the time comes.
What is the HerShe Group? Let's start with the mission statement:
"The HerShe Group prepares girls in foster care to successfully transition from adolescence to adult independence through the performing arts, mentorship, college & career readiness, leadership development and exposure to extraordinary experiences."
So, what does this mean? Well, let's look at some statistics listed on the HerShe website:
- 7 out of 10 foster youth will be homeless within one year of emancipation
- 6 out of 10 foster youth will be incarcerated within one year of emancipation
- 1 out of 10 foster youth go to college; of those only 1 out of 100 will graduate
- 1 out of 2 girls in foster care have been physically and/or sexually abused
- Foster youth in the system for 4 years or more have lived in 47 different homes
HerShe is hoping to change this.