EVENT DATE: Jun 02, 2013
Kelly McCray wrote -
The team at Londoner Salon will be running the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon. We are raising money to support the YWCA Sexual Assault Crisis Services. Team Londoner Salon feels very passionate about giving back to those who are in need. We've chosen this organization because of the support they provide to women in our local community. If you're interested in joining our running team, please email Kelly (email@example.com) for details!
Sexual Assault Crisis Services provides intervention and prevention services. They seek to improve the quality of life for those victimized by sexual violence and to provide awareness in hopes to prevent the incidence of sexual violence. They work closely with the community as a central resource for improving society's response to this violence crime. They provide services throughout South LA and the South Bay area.
Sexual violence is a devastating problem that impacts the lives of many women, men and children. Because rape is one of the most underreported crimes, available data greatly underestimates the true magnitude of the problem. Victims who are both physically and sexually abused are at higher risk of being injured of killed than victims who suffer from only one form of abuse.
Did you know...
…In America, one in five women and one in 33 men have experienced an attempted or completed rape.
…every 2.5 minutes someone in the US is sexually assaulted.
…According to a report from the US Department of Justice, nearly 25% of women and 7% of men have been raped or sexually assaulted by a current of former partner.
…between 1/3 and 1/2 of all battered women are raped by their partners at least once during their relationship.
…the FBI estimates that one in 10 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
…62% of women raped more than once by the same partner reported that the abuse lasted one year or more.
…62% of sexual assaults are not reported to police.
YWCA Sexual Assault Crisis Services provides the following support:
- Accompaniment - 24-hr advocate support at hospitals, law enforcement agencies and courts
- Advocacy - intervention with agencies and individuals on behalf of victims/survivors
- Community Education - provide workshops and community events to increase awareness about sexual violence
- Counseling - individual, group counseling and healing art services
- Crisis Intervention - 24-hr crisis line and community resources
- Prevention Education - provide workshops and events to decrease the occurrence of sexual violence
- Self-Defense - a women's empowerment model based on awareness, assertiveness and physical techniques
Please take a moment and donate to this amazing organization! Regardless of how big or small the donation, every dollar is appreciated!
Team Londoner Salon