Jason Hoover wrote -
Run Ranger Run
A team of up to ten individuals will pledge to walk, run and/or ride bicycles a combined total of 565 miles in the month of February (usually 28 days). They will raise funds for GallantFew and increase awareness for the stated veteran issues.
Veterans continue to battle record high levels of unemployment, under-employment, homelessness and suicide. The most recent Department of Labor Statistics from May 2012 show Global War on Terror veterans are 40% more likely to be unemployed than a person who never served. The VA reports eighteen veterans take their own lives daily, and active duty suicides have averaged one per day this year – a rate unheard of before now. We can make a difference!
In 2012, 3rd Ranger Battalion veteran US Army Corporal Cory Smith, having deployed to combat twice, experienced having friends killed and wounded and with his own marriage failing decided to highlight the difficult journey home many soldiers have leaving the Army by undergoing a very public and very difficult journey home himself. Cory decided to run 565 miles in 28 days with holding his daughter Elleigh in his arms the end goal of his run.
As a Result
To honor Cory’s incredible effort and to continue the momentum to raise awareness for veterans issues – particularly around divorce, unemployment, homelessness and suicide – we are offering an annual Run Ranger Run event.
Run Ranger Run: A team of up to ten individuals will pledge to walk, run and/or ride bicycles a combined total of 565 miles in the month of February (usually 28 days). They will raise funds for GallantFew and increase awareness for the stated veteran issues.
- A team captain recruits and forms his or her team.
- Team goal is to walk, run or ride a bike (or any combination) a total of 565 miles during February.
- Teams can be two to ten people.
- Teams are not limited geographically. It can be a local group that logs mileage together or could be a team spread out across the USA or even overseas.
- Teams can honor a fallen, wounded or serving soldier, sailor, airman or Marine by naming their team in honor of that person, and their team website should be able to reflect that.
- Teams will register and track their progress online
- Teams raise money by getting family, friends and co-workers to sponsor them per mile
Visit our official web site HERE.
Where: Reveille Peak Ranch
When: February 2nd
Race begins at 10:00 a.m. Race day check-in opens starting at 8:30. Join GallantFew and Team Red, White and Blie kick-off the start of Run Ranger Run month. Registered participants on the virtual team event may begin earning his/her committed miles for the month.
All participants currently registered to participate in the month long Run Ranger Run event only pays $5 for the kick-off event but is encouraged to bring his/her event t-shirt. All other kick-off participants (registered by January 25) pay $25 and will receive an event t-shirt upon check in. Registrants wearing a Team Red, White and Blue t-shirt get in free.