BENEFITING: Saint Francis House, Inc.
ORGANIZER: Saint Francis House, Inc.
EVENT: 2013 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 15, 2013
Saint Francis House, Inc. wrote -
St. Francis House is the largest day shelter in New England, serving more than 800 men and women a day, 365 days a year. We help individuals rebuild their lives by providing a full range of basic, rehabilitative, and housing services, all under one roof. Our multi-pronged approach allows us to meet the complex needs of the homeless despite the economic climate.
In 2012 St. Francis House:
- Served more than 315,350 meals
- Provided 9,387 showers
- Distributed 6,985 changes of clothes
- Provided nearly 12,000 counseling sessions on mental health issues, substance abuse, housing, employment, legal matters, and other issues
- Partnered with Boston Health Care for the Homeless to provide 9,135 medical appointments
- Trained 156 people in our First Step Employment Program
- Graduated the 118th class from the Moving Ahead Program (MAP), our vocational rehabilitation program, whose alumni now number more than 1,300
- Provided 56 units of permanent housing in our Next Step Housing Program. Next Step helps residents prepare for independent living free from shelters and institutions.
The need for help has steadily increased since we opened our doors in 1984. (Back then, we served 150 people a day.) But our holistic approach has never changed, and we never turn anyone away.