BENEFITING: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
ORGANIZER: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
EVENT: 2013 Boston Marathon
Information on AFSP:
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) is the leading national not-for-profit organization exclusively dedicated to understanding and preventing suicide through research, education and advocacy, and to reaching out to people with mental disorders and those impacted by suicide. The Boston Chapter supports our National mission and works tireless to prevent suicide in Massachusetts. http://www.afsp.org.
Please watch our Video to learn more about the stories of survivors and their loss.
Facts About Suicide:
- 90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable and treatable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
- Every 13.7 minutes someone in the United States dies by suicide.
- Nearly 1,000,000 people make a suicide attempt every year.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States
- Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death for adults between the ages of 18 and 65 years in the United States
In 2010, 600 Massachusetts residents died by suicide.
Nationally, in 2009, 36,900 people died by suicide. Imagine all the seats at Fenway Park filled with people and in one year, they have all died. Suicide has a deep and devastating impact on families and communities throughout the Commonwealth.
Proceeds from the John Hancock Marathon Program will play an essential role in helping AFSP Boston Chapter realize our ultimate vision of saving lives by directly funding our highest priority- suicide prevention and education programs designed to address high-risk populations and affected communities across the Commonwealth.
By opening up a conversation about mental illness, we aim to reduce the stigma, encourage people to seek medical help and educate the public that mental illness is a disease of the brain, and with proper medication, most people can leave productive lives.
Support AFSP Boston Chapter's work to prevent suicide in MA. Any donation you can offer can help to save one life.