BENEFITING: Pachyonychia Congenita Fund
HI ALL !
I'm doing a long distance bike tour to raise awareness and research funds for an ultra rare genetic skin disorder called Pachyonychia Congenita.
Having started in Seattle, WA, my goal is to reach at least a little beyond San Francisco, CA, maybe to Big Sur, which will tally about 1200 miles. This is a solo and self-supported tour, and it's being done on a shoestring, so I plan to primitive camp most of the way down. And not only is this my first ever overnight bike ride, I'm also a camping newbie, so it's been a steep learning curve in a few different ways! All good, though!!
Trip details and my whereabouts are on my Posterous blog.
Of course, I also stand to personally benefit from this endeavor, by having an awesome adventure riding down the Pacific Coast!! ...which includes:
- exploring far-away magical lands
- connecting with our world community
- trying something scary and new, building self-sufficiency, and some other personal goals
And then there's other stuff like:
- demonstrating the efficacy of the bicycle as a mode of transportation
- confirming we belong to a wonderful, kind, and supportive Universe
- being yet another inspiring example of a PC'er overcoming and doing!
Yes, some of you know that I also have this disease, so I do understand the deep challenges it can potentially present to the afflicted. And then some of you may be surprised by this revelation, which is an important step in developing a non-judgmental attitude and tolerance for one another, which is great in and of itself. And I also hope some of you will be driven to donate some greenbacks to this cause!!