BENEFITING: SKOLL COMMUNITY FUND
EVENT DATE: Sep 30, 2013
Co-operating with forests and communities for the well-being of the world.
We proudly empower thousands of our co-op members to part ways with illegal logging practices and live dignified lives logging sustainably in cooperation with their local communities.
We manage forests in a sustainable manner, under globally-recognized certification from the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). For 10 trees being cut down, we endeavor to plant and care for a hectare of them... that's roughly 1000 trees.
Where our community logging co-ops operate:
• illegal logging have been reduced drastically
• tree coverage have increased significantly, and
• the welfare of the local community improved greatly
HOW DID WE DO IT?
• By getting communities to work with -- not against -- the forest, we were able to transform illegal loggers into community loggers who can now live well and with dignity. FSC-certified wood is priced much better than illegal wood.
• Collaborating with other stakeholders, including government agencies, civil society organizations and private businesses in each locality, we are able to prevent destructive profit-maximizing interests to take roots locally.
• By creating a sustainable model to (potentially) meet both local and global demand for wood products, we help reduce pressure towards pristine forests.
We belive this model can scale into various localities in Indonesia and around the world.
OUR SCALE UP PATH
Currently, this community logging co-op model is being replicated across Indonesia by more than 50 communities under Telapak's network. Two of them have gained FSC certification, and more is in the process of obtaining it.
Supported by donation from this campaign, our scale up path includes:
1. Capacity building, specifically towards securing land use rights and obtaining FSC certification.
2. Establish new community logging co-ops in forest communities where no such institution exist.
3. Market research and cultivation, albeit to date, demand is much higher than our capacity to supply.
Will you take part in saving the forest through this social enterprise?
HOW YOU CAN HELP
We are the only organization from Indonesia among the 57 participants of this challenge from around the world. Help us win the $50,000 grand prize by the end of this challenge on November 22nd.
Here's what you can do to help:
1. A donation would be great of course :-)
For every IDR 100.000 (~USD 9) donated, we will plant and care for 1 tree in one of our community logging co-ops with FSC certification. You can also donate in IDR via our project page at KitaBisa.co.id. Thank you for your #TreeDonation!
- Support @telapak's initiative to save forests & communities. The only representative from Indonesia in #SEChallenge: http://bit.ly/ComlogFund
- Dukung @telapak menyelamatkan hutan dunia dengan memberdayakan masyarakat http://bit.ly/ComlogFund. Satu2nya wakil Indonesia di #SEChallenge.
3. Raise $100 or more as part of the fundraiser team.
Link to this page: http://bit.ly/ComlogFund
Reference site: www.communitylogging.coop
Connect with us at twitter.com/telapak
Financial or social, your support means a lot!
1. A Source for Sustainable Teak, International Co-operative Alliance (ICA)
4. 2010 Skoll Awards for Social Entrepreneurship (video).
5. Telapak's impact profile at Skoll Foundation's website.
6. 2012 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Emergent Leadership (profile) and accompanying essay.
7. Ashoka Fellow profile for Silverius Oscar Unggul, currently Telapak's National Coordinator for Community Logging.
8. TEDxJakarta talk, April 2013, on Telapak's community logging efforts. (video coming soon)
Jl. Palem Putri III No. 1-3, Taman Yasmin Sektor V
Bogor 16112, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
**The Skoll Community Fund will serve as an intermediary for Telapak for the duration of the Challenge.