BENEFITING: Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs
EVENT DATE: Sep 10, 2013
Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs, Inc. (TLCAD) is a non-profit organization that has been training Service Dogs in San Diego since 1998. TLCAD is fully accredited by Assistance Dogs International (ADI) and only uses positive reinforcement. TLCAD has three programs:
At Ease Program:
TLCAD custom trains Wounded Warrior Service Dogs for those with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and/or mobility limitations. Those in this program have shown to:
- Decrease anger/impatience
- Decrease depression/anxiety
- Decrease feelings of potential threats
- Decrease sleep issues (i.e. insomnia)
- Decrease medications
- Empower their lives once again
TLCAD custom trains Autism Service to meet the specific needs of individuals on the Autism Spectrum. This program has continued to work with ACT Today!, a group providing services to military families affected by autism and TERI, Inc., a facility providing services to children and adults with developmental and learning disabilities.
Those in this program have shown to:
- Create social pathways by which these individuals interact with others
- Help them adjust to new places and situations
- Deter negative behaviors
- Increase fine motor skills
- Increase responsibility and independence
- Prevent tantrums and running off
- Help entire families cope with the many challenges inherent to autism.
NEW- TLCAD Certification Program:
The mission of the TLCAD Certification Course is to serve Wounded Warriors (active duty service members and veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury (TBI) and/or mobility issues) that would like to have their current dog or Service Dog build upon their training and become eligible for certification through an Assistance Dogs International (ADI) accredited organization (TLCAD). This program adheres to ADI's Minimum Standards for Certification of Owner/Private Trainer Trained Assistance Dog Teams.