Thank you gifts!
November 02, 2016
Imagine living in a world where people possess genuine self-love and are free to experience their own authentic beauty - a world where a compassionate, forgiving voice is consistenty brought forth to counteract self-criticism, where having an apetite for life is both honored and valued.
This is the world of The Body Positive. For 20 years, we have been offering people the opportunity to put down the burdens of judgment, comparison, and shame in order to cultivate a relationship with themselves that is built on a foundation of self-love and trust. Through this self-love and deep listening, we are able to unleash the natural creative energy we all possess - a life force that can be used to make the world a better place to live in the biggest and smallest of ways.
How many women do you know who experience aggression directed at their bodies? From criticism about their size and shape to sexual assault and violence, women internalize trauma in a way that prevents them from inhabiting their bodies so they can live their lives from a place of empowerment and strength. This is what we all deserve!
How would your life be different if you could stop worrying about your body? Your daughter's life? Your sisters, wives, aunts, cousins and friends?
Our programs are based on feminist dialogical models of inquiry and solution identification, and are informed by the lived experience of our leaders. We’ve created a curriculum that is flexible and responsive to the specific individual, social, emotional, and cultural needs of diverse women.
With the money that we raise in this fundraiser, we will put our leadership trainings online so that we can:
- Train student leaders on college and high school campuses, as well as professionals and educators, to establish a body positive culture in their communities that fosters self-compassion, a healthy relationship to the female body, and resilient mental health
- Increase access to treatment for body image disturbances and emotional dysregulation
- Teach assertive self-protection skills and resistance to gender violence
- Provide gender responsive, trauma-informed tools to heal the psychological consequences of internalized violence
- Challenge women to liberate themselves from mental suffering so that they can participate in positively changing the world
We challenge the cultural mythology that body image disturbances are only a problem for affluent Caucasian women, and address intersecting identities of race, class, size, and sexual orientation. We increase young women’s access to appropriate treatment by training professionals to tailor our model to offer support groups and individual treatment in their communities.
We have already reached and transformed the lives of thousands of young women in pain, who have gone forward in the world to make it a better place. Imagine what could happen with the increased access of online trainings.
Thank you for your support! Stay tuned as we share inspiring stories of some of the women who have benefited profoundly from working with The Body Positive.