To Attend Conductors Institute at Bard Conservatory
Organized by: Ivan Enrique Rodriguez
¡Muchas gracias | Thank You!
May 18, 2016
EVENT DATE Jun 26, 2016
My name is Iván Enrique Rodriguez. I have just turned 26 years old and have recently come to New York City from Puerto Rico. I am pursuing my dream as a composer and conductor as it is through music that I am able to share the joy and wonders of our human emotions and the importance of art in developing a better and more tolerant society. It is a path which has a variety of challenges to even begin.
While it seems 2016 is the year of the Bard as many are celebrating the 400 year legacy of William Shakespeare and his phenomenal influence on creative cultures throughout centuries, for me the Year of The Bard comes as an invitation to attend the four week Conductors Institute Fellows and Colleagues program at the acclaimed Bard Conservatory of Music.
As Bard offers scholarship funds of up to only 10% of the $2,025 tuition fee and once all the various expenses* are tallied (such as 4 weeks of room and board, required texts and scores, etc.), the total cost for me to attend comes to $4,327.
The Conductors Institute at Bard represents an opportunity of growth; not just in the academic sense, but also in a professional one. While I am making positive progress as a young composer, one of my goals is to realize my dream of being a musical leader as a conductor. The steps to becoming a conductor has its unusual challenges. In order to train and even begin to gain experience in the art of conducting one needs an ensemble. Such training and experience is imperative even to continue my conducting studies in a graduate conducting program as most programs require a candidate to come with a certain level of training and require video of oneself in rehearsal and performance ... as a conductor. A bit of the chicken or the egg dilemma. One I mention as I aim to obtain a Masters degree from a leading program in conducting as a way of further realizing my career as a conductor.
The Conductors Institute at Bard provides access to an ensemble and for me to train with notable conductors such as Harold Faberman, Leon Botstein, Guillermo Figueroa, Gianmaria Griglio, Lawrence Golan, and Apo Hsu. One of the most important tools I will get through this prestigious program are video recordings of myself as a conductor in the way that most academic institutions require in order to pursue higher education in our very digitalized world.
The program also offers the opportunity to forge new relationships with players and composers as well as fellow conductors. In this unusually complex and uncommon career pursuit, relationships are more often than not key to that moment in time when one is offered the pivotal opportunity that becomes the “tipping point” of your career. This is true for me as a composer as well as a budding conductor.
With your financial assistance, my experience at the Conductors Institute at Bard will bring me that much closer to fulfilling what I know is my purpose and responsibility in life, to share through music the enjoyment of living and make a postive impact in our diverse society.
Thank You for your consideration as you review how I can only begin to acknowledge and share my gratitude for any support you can give me:
- If you’re stopping by and decide to support with a gift of $49.00 or less (no gift is tpp small ... any amount you can give will be greatly appreciated!) ... to you I say: ¡Muchas Muchas Gracias!
- Your gift $50 will help me get that much closer to getting to participate in the Bard Conductors Institute. For that you will have my gratitude and receive a personal thank you note while I am at Bard and can share something from my day with you.
- Your support of a $100 gift begs the question: Are you in New York City!? Let’s have some coffee!!! I would love to be able to thank you in person. Not in NYC? We can meet up through Skype, you’ll have to be cybernetically drinking coffee or tea with me though.
- I invite four (4) indiviuals to help me with a $250 gift each. To recognize your incredible support, I will compose a “Theme and Variations.” I’ll talk with each of you individually, so can tell me about yourself, your personality, and what music you listen to. Then I’ll write a piece of music which will consist of a theme and 4 variations, each one dedicated to each of the 4 donors and based on their generosity. Each donor will receive an autographed PDF of the score and a MIDI recording of the entire piece.
- A $500 gift of support will unravel The Mystery of one of my Crípticos: Only you will know the hidden message! I will share with you my process of composing a particular Críptico. You’ll also recieve an autograph copy and MIDI recording of the Críptico for which only you are privy to. Shhhh.... you won’t be able to share!
- For a $1,000 gift of support, I will compose a short duo or trio for the instrumentation of your choice (please remember that I write am a contemporary classical composer). An ideal way for an ensemble to get an exclusive** “encore” piece written specifically for them!
(**Note: some restrictions may apply)