The Compliment Scholarship Program
Organized by: Melissa Camilleri
About the Scholarship:
I spent the last decade as a high school teacher and was blessed to work with AMAZING students in the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program.
While these students grew into being some of the most remarkable human beings I know, it was heartbreaking to see some of them work so hard, make good choices, stay out of trouble, overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, and still not have enough to afford college.
Like me, these kids believe that education is the key to rising up. We believe that education is the thing that has the power to break generational cycles of poverty, abuse, and addiction. Education is the key to building our communities and shaping the next generation of engaged citizens who believe in service.
Many of these kids are the first in their families to go to college. They are trailblazers in shifting their family paradigms.
I wanted to help more than just in the classroom, so I started making and selling jewelry in my off hours from teaching to help raise a little extra money to support these kids and their dreams. Thus, my brand, Compliment, was born.
Since 2012, I have personally given over $4000 through the Compliment Scholarship Program. This money was raised soley by my efforts selling Compliment products online and went to providing six incredible women with their first semester of books and to hosting a community luncheon to honor and celebrate these girls, their teachers, and their guests.
My dream is to grow the fund large enough to be able to give gifts that make college a possibility financially. I've partnered with many local businesses and schools to make this happen, but we need your help too.
Here's what you can do:
- Learn more about the mission of Compliment and how we are striving to make this world a little bit better. You can read about us here.
- DONATE. Whatever you can give. Every single dollar matters and will be accounted for. The more we raise, the more we can give.
- Share this fundraiser with your friends. If you believe in education, if you've ever rooted for the underdog, if you believe that hard work should lead to success, please spread the word on your social medias.
The money we raise as a community will go to:
- Awards for two young women in the Greater Sacramento Area who have demonstrated amazing potential for success in a postsecondary environment, a heart for service, and financial need for this part of their journey.
- A community-organized event to honor these young women, the teacher who has made the biggest impact on their life, and their families.
- But MOST importantly, your donation will help fund the dreams, ambition, and determination of two talented young women looking to create a more healthy, prosperous life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
To learn more, about Compliment, our mission, and our past scholarship winners, please click here:
Thank you so much for your consideration! Let's work together to change some lives!
We believe words matter. They have the power to build. They have the power to change the world. Welcome to the feel-good movement.
Founded in 2011 by a high school English teacher looking for a way to raise money for her students to go to college, Compliment seeks to remind all women that they are beautiful, amazing, and enough, just by being.
Each piece of jewelry, stationery, or gift comes with a personalized, hand-stamped compliment so you never forget this fact. Plus, five percent of every sale goes directly to the Compliment Scholarship Program, benefitting deserving young women with a dream.