BENEFITING: The Empowerment Plan
The Empowerment Plan is a Detroit-based nonprofit focused on serving the homeless community through a unique employment opportunity. We hire homeless single parents from local shelters and train them in sewing and manufacturing to produce to coat that transforms into a sleeping bag, which is given back to homeless individuals nationwide through out outreach partners.
We are 100% committed to helping equip our employees with the skills needed to become self sufficient and successful in all areas of their life. We offer GED and tutoring classes, professionalism and leadership workshops, financial literary courses in an effort to help those we hire achieve their goals. We currently have a team of 20 individuals that were in the shelter at the time of hire working full-time to produce a product that benefits communities across the US and Canada. All 20 of our employees have been able to transition out of the shelter into stable secure housing.
Suggested Donation Levels:
- $25- materials for a coat
- $100 - cost to sponsor a coat
- $500 - contributes to equipment costs
- $1,000 - cost to sponsor 10 coats
- $2,000 - cost of GED classes and other educational programming for one employee
- $10,000 - helps cover the salary of one employee for a year (full-time @ $12/hr)
Remember, anything and everything helps!! Thank you for doing your part to #spreadthewarmth all year round!