EVENT: Purple Purse Challenge 2015
THE LAUREL CENTER INTERVENTION FOR DOMESTIC & SEXUAL VIOLENCE wrote -
The Laurel Center Intervention for Domestic and Sexual Violence (TLC) is excited to participate in the Allstate Purple Purse Challenge! The Laurel Center is the only agency providing support to victims of domestic and sexual violence in the Winchester/Frederick County/Clarke County area. Your donations will go directly to help families become empowered to live violence free. Please click on the donate button, or even better; create your own fundraising page to help us reach our goal.
For over three decades The Laurel Center has promoted domestic peace and equality for all our community members. TLC provides emergency housing and support services to victims of domestic and/or sexual violence and their dependent children. Our goal is to provide our clients with the knowledge, methods, and tools to make healthy choices, cope with their present abusive situation, and prevent violence in the future. Our approach involves empowerment through support and education. We actively work to educate the community about our services by speaking to local groups and organizations. Prevention efforts are a critical part of our mission.
We actively advocate for our clients in other systems to ensure they get the best outcomes possible for their situation. The Laurel Center examines client needs holistically and operates from a client centered philosophy. Services are built around client strengths and are trauma informed.
Your contribution is so important to the success of the families we serve and will provide the services that will enable them to live without violence.
Specifically, your gift will support housing, counseling and prevention efforts. For example:
- $200 will cover one month of electricity in the emergency shelter.
- $100 will provide shelter to one family for two nights.
- $75 will provide prevention training to local youth groups.
- $25 will provide counseling to one shelter resident for a month.
- $10 will provide employment assistance to a client.
In addition, your contribution supports our 18 programs and services that constitute a continuum of care that we believe help victims of domestic and sexual violence to live violence free. Our current programs include:
- 24-hour Hotline
- Emergency Shelter
- Advocacy Services that include financial services, counseling, information and referral, legal & mental health advocacy, community support and educational groups.
- Support Groups on various issues linked to domestic and sexual violence.
- Crisis Intervention Companions who respond to sexual assault disclosures at the local hospital 24 - 7.
- Community Outreach and Education including visits to colleges, schools, and community groups to talk about dating violence, sexual assault, domestic violence, and the effect of domestic violence on children.
- Prevention Programming that engages youth in understanding healthy relationships and preventing sexual abuse.
- Collaborative Networking to enhance victim safety.
- Community Collaboration and Housing Programs that support and enhance our clients’ desire to live independently in stable housing.