Kerrie Kauer via Crowdrise
November 13, 2012
BENEFITING: Off The Mat, Into The World
EVENT DATE: Dec 31, 2012
I am committed to raising $20,000 in funds and awareness in collaboration with Off The Mat, Into the World to support organizations that are creating economic opportunities and empowerment for survivors. An estimated 3 to 6 million women and children are enslaved for sex at any given time, nearly a million of whom are trafficked across international borders each year. The average age is 12 to 14.
Off the Mat, Into the World is partnering with a number of organizations at the forefront of sex trafficking rescue and rehabilitation efforts in India and worldwide. The Seva Challenge is committed to addressing immediate needs while contributing to long term solutions through:
* Education: educate ourselves and the general public about the issue, impact, and root causes of sex trafficking
* Awareness: launch the Yoga Freedom Project in collaboration with the Somaly Mam Foundation to raise awareness and funding, and implement a simultaneous campaign to explore the issue of sex trafficking in the United States as part of our Empowered Youth Initiative
* Refuge: work directly with orphanages and organizations that are rescuing and sheltering victims of sex trafficking
* Rehabilitation: support holistic programs to rehabilitate victims through mental health and other forms of therapy, legal aid and advocacy, and provide medical services for HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases
* Economic Opportunities: fund and support vocational training and job creation opportunities for sex trafficking survivors and women and girls at risk
* Empowerment: fund and support peer education and advocacy training as well as job creation and micro-loans for women survivors .