Outdoor Nation: Outdoor Nation is a growing, national movement that empowers Millennials to spearhead ideas that inspire and mobilize a new generation of outdoor adventurers and activists.
About Outdoor Nation
The Challenge: Over the past 30 years, young people of the digital age have become increasingly alienated from the natural world with potentially catastrophic consequences.
- The average young person spends more than 7 hours each day in front of an electronic screen and less than 4 minutes outdoors.
- From 2006 to 2010, the percentage of young people regularly engaging in outdoor recreation fell 15 percentage points.
- The US will be a majority minority country by 2042 and yet minority youth outdoor participants represent less than 20 percent of all participants – with rates declining every year.
- By 2050, more than 80 percent of all Americans will live in urban areas – with less access to outdoor recreation areas.
- More than 20% of children in America today are clinically obese
Outdoor Nation -- a vibrant, fast-growing national movement that is creating a new generation of young leaders and change-makers who are spearheading innovative projects, influencing national, state and local decision-makers, and inspiring and mobilizing millions across the country to get outdoors and active.
The Strategy: Engage. Invest. Activate.
In just two years…
Engage – new audiences and community champions
- Summit Series -- Outdoor Nation has brought together more than 1,500 Millennials in 10 Summits across the country – engaging diverse new audiences, building a connected community and inspiring collective action.
- 50 percent minority / Caucasian
- 50 percent male / female
- Urban, rural and suburban
- Core age – 18 – 24
Invest – in great, youth-led project ideas
- Challenge Grants / (Investment Fund) – With its partners, Outdoor Nation has invested nearly $1 million in the most effective, youth-led projects and programs that successfully and sustainably reconnect a new generation with the outdoors.
Activate: a powerful network of young outdoor leaders
- Adventures – Through its Summits and Challenge Grants, Outdoor Nation has empowered more than 100,000 young people to get outdoors and get active – ranging from campus outing clubs to local community gardens.
- Activism – Outdoor Nation works at the national, state and local level to influence policies and programs that concern youth and the outdoors. Meeting with top officials, speaking at conferences, creating youth ambassador programs, launching social media and outreach campaigns are just a few examples of ON activism impact.
SUPPORT A YOUTH-LED OUTDOOR NATION PROJECT AND HELP CREATE A NEW GENERATION OF OUTDOOR LEADERS.
To learn more about Outdoor Nation, visit outdoornation.org