Three dogs vs. 1 Cottonmouth Snake!
Organized by: Kathleen Cary
I am raising funds to help some neighbors who were hit with an unexpected vet bill when all three of their dogs were bitten by a Cottonmouth snake in their front yard.
The emergency vets' estimate for treatment, just overnight for all three dogs, was $3000! Even though they love their dogs, this was not an option. My neighbors decided to have the vet clean the wounds, do the blood work to see if the venom was already causing coagulation problems in the dogs, and to have them give more Benedryl (they had given the dogs some Benedryl at home which turned out to be a good thing), subcutaneous fluids and pain medications. They left with prescriptions to take to their pharmacy for antibiotics and more pain meds. The amount they were charged leaving the emergency vet was $900.
They gave Benedryl at home the first night and followed up with their regular vet the next day to have a re-check and have the other blood work done (at a lower cost than an emergency clinic would be).
The dogs are now being treated for dehydration and infection at the wound sites . All of us who love our animals would appreciate some financial help if faced with this type of situation. Thank you in advance if you can donate!