Organized by: Sarah Philley
EXPERIENCING SEATTLE: FROM FAILING TO THRIVING
Experiencing Seattle: From Failing to Thriving (FFTT) has been a 100% volunteer-run program for the past five years, enhanced by dozens of community partners, sponsors, and generous donors.
Since 2009, ongoing sustainable partnerships have allowed for project-based learning, field trips, and gifts from sponsors- sending a loud and clear message to student-participants that the community deeply cares about them and wants to see each one Becoming a Contributor (FFTT Stage 5).
Over 80 alternative high school students have participated in the 5-day intensive mini-course version of FFTT. While serving at-risk teens, FFTT has grown wildly popular with participants not wanting the five days to end stating, "FFTT actually makes school fun! I WANT to show up every day."
The five-day mini-course, however, was only the beginning-- providing a small, yet enticing, sample of the full-length version to come.
In response to participant feedback, with strong levels of teen interest in the FFTT program and with student demands for expansion, the volunteer team explored possibilities of creating a full-service community center to host the 7-week version of FFTT for qualifying high school participants.
ABOUT THRIVE CITY
Thrive City is a community-based center dedicated to improving socio-emotional, academic, and future outcomes using a strengths-based approach aimed at fostering thriving in adolescents.
Thrive City center...
* Offers full-length, 7-week FFTT program
* Includes skills center (barista & cafe, ice skating, running club, community garden, and more)
* Provides on-site counseling services and support groups
* Hosts family engagement opportunities
* Enhances school performance and outlook, self-concept, and worldview
* Partners with local high schools and youth programs
* Connects participants with local businesses, city officials, and community members
* Offers continued alumni services and involvement
* Provides a safe, welcoming environment with mentorship opportunities and healthy modeling of strong community- a place where ALL people can thrive together
Check out how Community Partners and Sponsors support FFTT!
- Local hip-hop artists leading poems-to-lyrics workshops.
- Recording studio and sound engineer hosting the creation of songs written and recorded by FFTT classes ("We're Gonna Make It" and "From Failing to Thriving").
- Wilderness guides leading team-building activities.
- Guest artists (a local muralist, an art therapist, and the founder of an art school) leading art projects and activities.
- University providing tours, classroom-use, and free t-shirts for all FFTT participants.
- Popular radio station hosting radio-broadcasting introduction with mixing, recording sound bites, interactive tour, and watching LIVE on-air feeds by the DJ.
- Museums generously providing scholarships and grants for entire FFTT classes, making field trips possible.
- Transportation via mini-buses, ferries, and vans.
- Coffee shops and restaurants hosting workshops and interactive tours.
- Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts gym donating memberships and sweatshirts for all FFTT participants.
- Local clothing design company providing behind the scenes lesson of starting and maintinaing a business.
- Sponsors providing "prize" giveaways for FFTT participants from movie theater, massage clinic, nail salon, local bakery, stores, coffee shops, and more.
- Social service organizations and businesses sharing resources while expanding FFTT participant knowledge of local support available for addiction, abuse, homelessness, counseling, and community services.
- Official "Welcome to the city" by mayor and other city employees.
- Food co-op hosting lunch for FFTT participants.
- Chocolate factory interactive tours.