• Step 1 - Click on the black button “REGISTER TO CLIMB”
• Step 2 is difficult – brace for it…click on “NEXT STEP”
• Step 3 - Choose one of the following three options
1. “JOIN A TEAM” - you know someone who has already created a team, and as luck might have it, they have invited you to join! You will be fundraising as a team, with each team member committing to a fundraising minimum of at least $100.
2. “CREATE A TEAM” – You know people and would like to rally them to climb and fundraise together under one team name. Each person you rally will commit to a fundraising minimum of at least $100, but you know (and we know) that YOUR people are capable of so much more…and there are great prizes involved…
3. “CLIMB AS AN INDIVIDUAL” – Don’t worry – we know… you do have friends. It’s just easier to fundraise by yourself and have your own fundraising page (and prizes when you raise the most). You might meet friends at the climb, or make some new ones, you just don’t need to announce your friend status here on this website.
• Either set up a Crowdrise page, or use previously set up account to get registered and follow the next steps to solidify our 2017 Climb for Heroes relationship.
• Once you are in – use the “edit fundraiser” tab to add a photo or some story text about why this cause is important to you
• Share your unique URL with family, friends, and co-workers. Post about what you are doing on Social Media #ClimbForHeroes @theheroesproject and paste your URL into your posts
• BOOM – good deed done today! You are making the world a better place by supporting our injured veterans and their families.
If you are ready for a true test of physical strength and mental fortitude, go for speed. It’s a race to the top, fastest time from Base Camp to Summit. The winner will hold the title of “Fastest Badass on Baldy 2017”, receive a massive trophy representative in size of the jaw dropping (and thigh burning) achievement, get goodies from our sponsors to make your friends jealous, and – most impressive – earn the bragging rights that will give you a seat at the head of your table and an entire year of admiration from your peers.
Fastest Badass competitors will need to arrive at 7:30 am on May 21st to sign up and get up the mountain before the masses and their dogs start the trek to the top. If you are the ultimate competitor, and are looking to smoke your competition in 2017 AND crush the records over the past 4 years, we have included winner times below. Strap on your boots – and get some training in – these guys are fierce competitors.
Here are the details on distance, altitude, and scenic opportunities at Climb for Heroes. Don’t be intimidated - you can turn around at any point, but with plenty of inspiration, sustenance and motivation along the way, we surmise that you will surprise even yourself. This climb is accessible and fun for humans and four-legged friends of all ages and fitness levels.
• Base Camp (Mt. Baldy Ski Lift Parking Lot)
Coffee, food, music, directions, and restrooms
• Camp 1 - 1.1 miles - 765 ft. gain
Beautiful vistas of the ocean and the Notch - perfect for your Instagram feed
• Camp 2 - 1 mile - 541 ft. gain
Top of the Notch Restaurant & Bar, restrooms and ski lift - excellent opportunity to fuel your tank or take the fast route back to Base Camp on the ski lift down.
• Camp 3 - 1.3 miles - 893 ft. gain
Camp Coors - wet your whistle while bonding with your fellow hikers and veterans and stop by the tattoo parlor to get a temporary THP tattoo. Take in the best view of the entire climb with sights of the summit ridge and the notorious Devil’s Backbone.
• High Camp - 1.4 miles - 732 ft. gain
The view from High Camp inspires a "purpose of life reset", a moment to take in how far you’ve come and to know you’re so close to finishing what you’ve started. Prepare your mind and body for the final push to the summit.
• Summit - .5 miles - 719 ft. gain
HUGE pats on your back and the backs of your new best friends. You sweat for a cause, the view from up top is unbelievable, and the people you accomplished this with are your ride or die crew. Bask in the glory of this moment for yourself and the veterans you climbed for. It was worth every step of the way.