As many of you know I am on the Executive Board for the Cancer Community Center, a non-profit here in Portland Maine that not only helps the great people that are fighting a personal battle with cancer but also the people that are their support team. A place like the Cancer Community Center helps bring awareness and offers a place for people to retreat to and find support/help in many different ways, not just medical.
Each year, over 2,900 people in Southern Maine receive a new diagnosis of cancer. And there are over 150,000 cancer survivors in Maine, many of whom are still dealing with the long-term effects of their treatments.
The Cancer Community Center served over 1,200 people last year. But this year we are focused on DOUBLING the number of people we help during their cancer battle....so this year, your donation is TWICE as important!
Here's what happens every day at the Center:
- the man finding relief from the pain and nausea chemo is causing through the free acupuncture treatment he receives at the Center
- a group of people all ages facing different types of cancer finding a shared sense of control and peace through their weekly guided meditation session.
- a woman who has completed treatment and finds the friendship and support she needs as she adjusts to her "new normal" at the Center's yoga and tai chi classes
- the group of caregivers who support each other through the difficult job of caring for a loved one through a treatment that can knock the stuffing out of even the strongest, optimistic person
- and many more people that your donation can help.
I ask you as a friend to help me continue to build this tremendous asset for the Southern Maine community...whether it is for yourself or one of the many people you know that are going through the fight against cancer.
I appreciate your ability to give a little in advance!
- Tim Renyi