Organized by: Jennifer Gonzalez
For the last 6 months we’ve put all of our extra time and money into building Torchlight Legal. We’re almost ready to launch but we need some help getting through the final stretch.
Our broad mission is pioneer legal innovations in pursuit of social justice. Our starting point is addressing the legal needs of families children fleeing oppression and violence.
After a year of working on asylum cases, Jennifer realized that part of closing the access to justice gap for refugees is increasing the capacity of dedicated public interest and pro-bono attorneys.
Our goal is to make sure that every refugee has access to legal help. Our contribution to that goal is to significantly reduce the amount of work asylum attorneys need to do. If non-legal volunteers can crowdsource research, language, and trauma services, attorneys can help more people. #Winning
Joseph joined the project as a co-founder because he wanted to use his professional expertise to serve and empower vulnerable populations.
With very meager savings, almost no income and a lot of small miracles we have already
- Set up a basic tech platform;
- Recruited 3 great non-profit partners and a major, international law firm; and
- Built a sustainable, non-profit business model that will ensure long-term success.
We are a couple of weeks away from seeking major donations and grants, but we need a little help to get there. Your donations will help us
- Cover the legal costs of setting up the company and filing for tax-exempt status;
- Complete the modifications to our beta platform; and
- Launch our summer and fall pilot programs.
We are so grateful for your friendship and financial support. Thank you for joining us on this adventure and helping us to change the world, if only a little.
Love and gratitude,