EVENT DATE: Apr 21, 2014
The TRASH ON YOUR BACK® Challengers learn that becoming a zero waste nation and globe requires bringing the best, the brightest, and the most innovative to the table to take on this global trash challenge collectively. It requires committed leaders from a wide range of disciplines willing to take a pledge to not only carry their TRASH ON YOUR BACK® for the 5 DAY CHALLENGE, but it requires connected knowledge from schools, the military, multinational businesses, federal government, waste management companies, recycling organizations and large venue entertainment facilities, as well as creative thinkers in the non-traditional sustainability sector such as entrepreneurs, artists, CEO’s, athletes, celebrities, veterans, and students to really drive a 10% reduction each year towards lowering and diverting our waste to landfills within the next 10 years. Our intention is to create a “behavioral shift” collective community through the hands on TRASH ON YOUR BACK® 5 DAY CHALLENGE with a focus on innovation and collaboration on bringing the science, awareness, fun, and willingness to drive the shift towards zero waste, while creating sustainable businesses in the process.
• TRASH ON YOUR BACK® 5 DAY CHALLENGE estimates that the average American generates 4.4 lbs. of trash per day
• The 315 million people in the US = Generate 1.3 Billion POUNDS of trash per day
• US spends $12 Billion Dollars per year on waste management alone
• National Academy of Science estimates 14 billion pounds of trash are dumped in our oceans every year
• National Academy of Science states the United States could be the source of approximately one third of the ocean pollution
• Every year, Americans throw away enough paper and plastic cups, forks, and spoons to circle the equator 300 times.
• About 80 percent of our nation's garbage goes to landfills
• The largest landfill in the world sits on 1,365 acres-- "roughly the size of New York City's Central Park”.
• The landfill is the height of a 40-story building
• The TRASH ON YOUR BACK®5 Day Challengers knocked the 4.4 lbs per day average to .8 lbs per day, an 83% reduction in 2012/2013.
• Just a 50% reduction is a $6 Billion Dollar opportunity for the United States, lets make a dent in 2014.
Our oceans are filling up with plastic & trash
Fish eat plastic…
We eat fish…
Our landfills are filling up…
250 million tons are sent to landfills every year of which half can be recycled. The average American generates 32.2 pounds per week (4.6 pounds per day). A cost savings occurs by not paying for it to be land filled. On average you would save 40% by recycling as opposed to sending the material to a landfill. With an annual $100 Billion in U.S. waste disposal, the savings could be $40 Billion potentially (Keep America Beautiful)
We got issues, we also have business opportunities? Why should I care? Get on board and find out!
“If we can walk on the moon, we can become a zero waste nation” - Diana Dehm, Sustainability News & Entertainment® Talk Radio& Founder, TRASH ON YOUR BACK 5 Day Challenge
Earth Day Week, April 21-25, 2014 Come find out how you can make a sustainable difference, laugh alot, make friends on the street, and learn together with people from around the world! www.facebook.com/TRASHONYOURBACK