Tumas Family Homestead Burned to the Ground
Organized by: Kristi and Jeff Lay
Tumas fire update from my cousin Grace
April 25, 2016
My aunt Jewel and uncle Don lost EVERYTHING last night in a fire! The loss is unfathomable... and they did not have fire insurance! They only have the clothes they were wearing, no shoes, phones, no documents, or ID...
It is beyond words... It started as a small porch fire... My uncle was frantically trying to use the hose from the house to put out the fire and try to save the car, but it was not enough.
They had to sit, helpless for 2 hours as they watched their entire life-savings burned to the ground! My aunt is a master weaver and has been featured in magazines for her Colonial authentic weaving... all her weaving looms, heirloom spinning wheels, her source of income... and her family heritage! The list of what they have lost is too big, and they are devastated!
They raise Toggenberg goats. Thankfully their goat barn was not affected. They have adult & kid goats, but they do not have anywhere to live while they care for their animals and work their garden. I can’t stop crying... I keep praying & asking for God's mercy!
Their youngest son, was still living at home with them. He is supposed to be closing on his house the end of April & getting married this fall. ALL his belongings & furniture for his upcoming new house & wedding were burned too...
We appreciate your prayers and financial assistance. Every gift counts no matter the amount. May God bless you for your compassion and generosity for my family!