Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts via Crowdrise
October 14, 2015
We do this all year! UICA has been building the creative community in West Michigan for 38 years. Our contemporary arts center features over 10 gallery exhibitions a year, a slew of special events (artist talks, auctions, receptions, an artist market, movie premieres, and speaker panels), and a state-of-the art theater showing independent movies six days a week.
This year's UICA ArtPrize exhibition is SENSE. It features six large-scale installations by seven artists from around the U.S., and all are related to the five human senses - and perhaps a sixth sense.
Mounting a full-building exhibition that will be seen by over 90,000 people in 19 days is a big endeavor, with big costs. And because ArtPrize is free to the public, we can't rely on our usual (low, low) admission fee to cover them.
Funds raised during this campaign will go toward:
- Artist Stipends to our seven SENSE artists. Not all ArtPrize venues pay their artists. As an institution dedicated to advancing the careers of artists, UICA strives to compensate artists for their work.
- Extra staff time. UICA wants to make your ArtPrize experience a great one. Our staff is working extra hours to provide superb service, a clean and safe environment, and answers to any and all of your questions.
- Toilet paper and paper towels. Really - we go through a lot of paper goods during ArtPrize.
Here's what else you should know.
UICA is dedicated to:
- Contemporary arts as a catalyst for exploration, inspiration, and provocation
- Promoting inclusive cultural dialogue and lifelong learning throughout our diverse society
- Presenting contemporary art that is artistically excellent, thought provoking, and experimental
- Advancing the careers and the creative processes of innovative emerging and mid-career artists
- Producing vibrant, sustainable programs that attract, educate, employ, and retain a diverse creative workforce in West Michigan
- Partnering with community leaders and neighboring organizations to enhance our urban environment
- Protecting freedom of artistic expression because it is essential to a thriving community
Lastly, UICA is a non-profit organization that relies on donations and grants to present our educational programs, exhibitions, events, and films. Your donation is tax-deductible to the extent of the law. You will receive a receipt acknowledging your gift from Ferris State University, UICA's parent organization.
Thank you so much for your gift!