Unirondack 5K Walk for the Future
EVENT DATE: May 07, 2016
What is the Goal for the 5K Walk?
Our goal is to raise $100,000 toward our $1 Million goal to build an endowment for camp that is big enough to make sure we are safe to operate in ways that are true to our mission - FOREVER.
What does the event consist of?
For those who are able, we'll be hosting a 5K walk at Unirondack during our opening work weekend (May 6-8, 2016).
How do I support the event without going to the weekend?
Unirondack has always been about creative solutions and challenging the assumptions we have about ourselves. If you can't make it to the Work Weekend, the possibilities don't end there.
Obviously, donating is a start, but the next step is joining a team to support and if you can, create your own event to really drum up interest!
Some Ways to Organize Your Own 5K Walk/Fundraiser:
- Host your own 5k Walk near you!
- Hike 5 miles with family or friends
- Canoe 5 miles in meditation
- Play 5 minutes at a local Open Mic night!
- Attempt 5-hours without talking or technology!
If you are able to make it to the work weekend when the work is done we will take to the camp road and walk to Francis Lake and back, which is, conveniently, 5 Kilometers!
Why Support Unirondack?
Unirondack is a welcoming community that creates a place of belonging for many young people, families, and adults that is rare, precious, and something too many of us take for granted. But it is both incredibly valuable and also fragile. Summer camp sessions open the door for young people to explore who they are, engage in creative pursuits, find affirmation that is often lacking in their lives, learn new skills, and make life-long connections - but our doors being open is not a guarantee. Help us change that.
Unlike many camp organizations, we don't have a pool of money to draw from each year to promise campers next year will happen. As healthy as our organization is today, we're never more than one error away from dire straights. Organizations like ours live on the gains of what is aptly named - a foundation. That is what this fundraiser is for.
Watch the video to the left of this text and ask yourself, "Is Unirondack a place the world should ever be without?"
If you agree that the world needs Unirondack for years to come, help us do something about it by joining with us on May 7th in whatever way you can.
A sample of what a proper endowment would allow us to do:
- Pay staff competitive wages (A $2,000 starting salary? Yes. It's possible)
- Offer significant campership scholarships to campers who can't afford camp
- Hire professionals for our continuing educational programs
- Make much needed improvements to our aging infastructure
- Make safety improvements to camp like lightening rods and a camp-wide backup generator
- Offer a competitive salary for future Directors when Kris is gone! :)