United Way of West Central CT’s goal is to create long-lasting changes by addressing the underlying causes of the most significant local issues affecting Bristol, Burlington, Plainville, and Plymouth/Terryville. Our United Way focuses its efforts on helping children and youth achieve their potential, promoting financial stability and independence, and improving people's health:
• Our local early childhood initiatives include a variety of health and educational services and collaborations. One highly successful service managed by the United Way is the Appetite for Reading Program, which distributes about 500 free children’s books each month. The Program has grown from one Appetite for Reading location to ten sites with the addition of a Little Free Library as well.
• Our Kids in the Middle Program helps middle school students successfully transition to high school by providing students with meaningful volunteer and team-building experiences and connecting them with caring adults and the community.
• Our Youth Board consists of high school students and faculty advisors from each of our six area schools. The board meets monthly to assess the issues that affect our community, prioritize the projects they should undertake and formulate a plan to accomplish their goals and make the greatest impact.
• We offer free income tax preparation services through our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, serving more than 500 families in the 2016 tax season.
• Our free Financial Education Classes focus on budgeting, credit management, savings, debt and financial recovery.
• Our Financial Coaching Program matches participants with trained financial coaches, who help them develop a budget, set financial goals and address obstacles to success.
• Our TRIAD Initiative seeks to bring together law enforcement, older volunteers, and social, business and aging network professionals to address the safety needs and concerns of older adults in their community and reduce the fear of crime. TRIAD plans an annual health fair reaching hundreds of local seniors.
• Our “Stand Strong, Live Long” Program helps seniors build confidence, improve balance, and decrease their risk of falling.
Your support of our annual United Way Campaign will help to continue these important United Way health, financial stability and education initiatives.