Variety the Children's Charity of St. Louis is a multi-faceted organization with one simple mission: To help local children with disabilities reach their full potential by providing services every time they need assistance.
Kids on the Go Mobility Program
Variety assists more than 1,350 St. Louis-area children by providing them with durable medical equipment – including wheelchairs, augmentative speech devices, leg braces, hearing aids, prostheses, and van lifts – that empowers them to be physically independent.
Throughout the year, Variety conducts a number of inclusive programs that allow local children with physical and mental disabilities the same opportunities as their able-bodied friends. Highlights include:
• Adventure Camp: Where the impossible becomes possible through fun, challenging activities in the areas of sports, fitness, sensory art and music.
• Bikes for Kids: Providing custom therapeutic bikes, as well as traditional bikes, to Variety children.
• St. Louis through the Eyes of a Child with a Disability: A field trip for Variety children and their families to experience some of the city’s most treasured attractions together.
• Variety Children’s Chorus: Comprised of talented children who receive equipment and/or funding from Variety, as well as children without disabilities.
• Variety Children’s Theatre: Bringing together children of all abilities with professional adults in one of the city’s top performance venues to create an unforgettable experience for theatergoers, cast and crew alike.
Variety allocates more than $600,000 annually to 80+ agencies throughout St. Louis to fund programs and/or services that directly impact the lives of children with physical and mental disabilities.
Sunshine Coach Vans
As of Fall 2010, there have been 104 Sunshine Coach Vans allocated to Variety partner agencies to transport children across the St. Louis area to
doctor appointments, therapy sessions and special outings or activities.
Overseen by Variety’s Program Director, the Resource Center provides valuable information and community connections to resolve the legal, social, therapeutic, education, medical and counseling issues often encountered by families of children with disabilities.