BENEFITING: THE BHUTAN FOUNDATION
*Scroll to the end for reward list*
Hello. My name is Kunzang Tshering and I am studying Psychology and Journalism in Wheaton College, Massachusetts. I am from Thimphu, Bhutan- a tiny country bordered by China and India. It is roughly the size of Switzerland and has a population of 700,000.
When I was 7 years old, I attended my first art class at the Voluntary Art Studio Thimphu or VAST. These classes taught me skills I did not learn at school and this was where I met kids from other schools, and volunteers of all ages and walks of life.
VAST was founded in 1998 by four Bhutanese artists with the aim to provide artistic skills that could be used to engage in socially productive work. VAST is also the forerunner for the contemporary art movement in Bhutan.
VAST has since grown to 70 members and 15 volunteer artists who conduct weekend classes on sketching, painting, traditional arts and photography. Currently, the activities of VAST have reached almost 5,000 children through 1,000 weekend classes, camps, workshops and trainings at juvenile youth centers.
A VAST initiative in 2010 called 'Young Zoom on Garbage' aimed to engage school children with the problem of urban waste management. Participants were taught basic digital photographic techniques and culminated in an exhibition of the students pictures and 'garbage artwork' in various mediums.
Other community projects such as 'Rice Bank' involved raising funds to lend a year's supply of rice to 15 families who did not produce enough. 'Build a House' raised money to build homes for impoverished farmers in rural Bhutan. The self-titled 'Make a Wish' project took elderly elderly villagers on pilgrimage to holy sites in the country.
This non-profit and non-governmental organization is funded purely through donations of generous sponsors. VAST requires funds to continue the projects mentioned above but also to buy art supplies, books as well as trekking and camping gear for outdoor programs.
This Crowdrise attempts to raise $2000 for VAST. Even a donation of $1 = 65 ngultrum, which could buy a small sketchbook and color pencils for a young art student.
- VAST website - http://www.vast-bhutan.org/
- Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/VASTBhutan/
- Founder Kama - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCscZEVsAus
Rewards per donation: These are cummulative (you will receive all rewards at lower levels). In order to claim this reward, please include full name and email id when donation is made. You can also choose to email me personally with these details.
- Every donation = An automatic note of gratitude.
- $20-$40 = A personal email from VAST.
- $50-$99 = A postcard from Bhutan.
- $100-$499 = Sponsors names are mentioned in VAST Facebook page/website.
- $500-$999 = Personal email from the founder.
- $1000-$1999 = An art student will send an illustration along with short note. (Shipping times may vary, only to the United States)
- 2000$ and above = A personalized illustration along with a note from a founder. (Shipping times may vary, only to the United States)
Please consider donating to VAST which is partnered with the Bhutan Foundation in the United States. Thank you and Tashi Delek.