I've got a birthday coming up to remind me to reflect on another year filled with inspiring people and incredible experiences (and lots of studying). I am lucky to live comfortably, express myself freely, and be supported in my efforts toward a professional degree. I know such situations are not universal, and in hopes of aiding equalization work I'm using my 24th birthday to try to raise $2,400 for CORD (Chinmaya Organization for Rural Development).
CORD is an incredible organization that empowers rural Indians via sustainable programs. They currently serve over 60,000 individuals in 700+ villages! What kind of work do they do?
- Forums for women to discuss gender, educational, health and social issues
- Primary health care services
- Rehabilitation resources for differently abled
- Classes to encourage self-confidence and education for young girls
- Training to responsibly utilize natural resources
- Sustainable income generation/training for women
- Informal legal counseling to help resolve domestic and community issues
(More here: http://www.cord.org.in/programmes.html)
As you can see, the programs address hugely important issues that are specific to the people being served. I highly encourage you to explore the CORD website and learn more about the great work being done. After that, consider donating whatever you can! $24 is just a suggestion -- no amount is too small (or big!): "It's the drops in the ocean that make waves."
Regardless of any birthdays, this is an opportunity to help improve the quality of life of our fellow humans, and I sincerely hope you'll join me in donating!