In Burundi, one of the poorest countries in the world, health statistics are grim:
- 1 in 31 lifetime risk of maternal death
- National c-section rate of 3.7%
- 1 in 10 children die before age 5
- Only 1 doctor per 50,000 people
- 8 qualified surgeons in a nation with a population of 10 million people
Please help us build the Women's Health Pavilion (WHP), an urgently needed obstetrics/surgery center for the region. The WHP will provide safe delivery of babies, safe emergency obstetrics care, vital neonatal care, early childhood development clinical and education services, and the capacity to develop comprehensive surgical services.
Not only will the WHP save lives, but it will serve as a regional teaching center. Visiting surgical and obstetrical teams would then finally have a facility to treat patients and train Burundian physicians and medical students.