This year for Violet's 5th birthday, instead of gifts she invites you to help her raise funds for WestSide Baby's annual Stuff the Bus Diaper Drive!
Violet knows as a family we have donated to WSB since she was a baby. Starting her first Christmas we donated diapers in lieu of gifts to other family and friends. She understands the importance of diapers and came up with the idea to do this for her birthday.
Violet says enthusiastically, "THANK YOU for helping me Stuff the Bus fuuuuulll of diapers for other kids!"
And we thank you for helping Violet succeed in her first birthday giving fundraiser! - Tim and Risa
Please take a moment to read why diapers really are that important...
Did you know:
- 1 out of 3 U.S. families struggle to afford an adequate supply of diapers for their children
- Diapers are not covered by Food Stamps, WIC or any other
government assistance programs
- Food banks and other social service organizations do not have the resources to provide more than a handful of “emergency” diapers at a time
- Diaper manufacturers do not donate diapers, not even to crisis nurseries and shelters- Most daycare centers require a daily supply of disposable diapers. This makes finding work for parents extremely difficult.
Children who sit in dirty diapers are:
- more vulnerable to diaper rash, infections, even abuse. Think about it... a wet, poopy baby cries long and hard until getting changed
- likely to be so consumed by the pain of their situation that their cognitive development may be at risk of being delayed
Why not cloth diapers?
Proper washing of cloth diapers takes skill, soap, money and time. It is not an easy option for low income families, especially when Laundromats often prohibit diaper washing.
In King County alone there are 10,000 children under the age of 2 living in poverty. If those 10,000 children need on average 6 diapers a day for 365 days, this year alone those 10,000 children will need approximately...22 MILLION DIAPERS. This is where we need your help.
By making a donation, you will be supporting WestSide Baby's Diaper Bank Program to distribute diapers to families in need throughout King County.
By helping financially with meeting needs of low-income families with children:
- families living on the margin do not have to choose between buying diapers and other necessities, such as food, rent or utilities
- fewer babies are forced to endure sitting in soiled diapers for long periods of time
- parents can find stable work when they can provide the required supply of diapers to take their kids to day care
- household stress is reduced and parents can focus more time and attention on creating a nurturing home where their children can thrive
About WestSide Baby
Families in poverty or crisis face daunting challenges providing essential items for their children’s well-being, yet all children need warm clothes, a healthy supply of diapers and safe equipment to grow up strong. Located in the White Center neighborhood of Seattle, WestSide Baby was created in 2001 to provide these critical items for children in need throughout King County. By collecting and distributing diapers, clothing and equipment in partnership with over 80 social service agencies, WestSide Baby has distributed over $10.25 million in essential items to local children since being founded. In 2012, we have served 22,000+ children with the items they deserve to have a clean and safe start to life.