BENEFITING: Vital Link Education-business Consortium
EVENT DATE: Jul 11, 2017
Donate Now! The fundraiser runs through Wednesday, August 9th. Macy’s 12th annual Shop For a Cause will take place Thursday, August 10 – Sunday, August 13 both in-store and online. Donate $5 Or More to Recive a Macy's Exclusive Shopping Pass that includes:
Macy's Shop for a Cause Savings Pass Promotions
- EXTRA 25% OFF select regular-priced, sale clothing, accessories & jewelry, exclusions, and restrictions apply.
- EXTRA 20% OFF select regular-priced items & select sale home items, exclusions and restrictions apply.
- EXTRA 10% OFF select regular-priced & sale electrics/electronics (in-store only), exclusions and restrictions apply.
What is Vital Link's story?
Vital Link serves high schools, middle schools, community colleges, universities, Regional Occupational Programs and Youth Service providers in Orange County, CA. 40-60% of our participants are either low to moderate income, at risk, or special education students.
There is national recognition of the importance of preparing students for 21st century careers. It is imperative that we find innovative ways to engage young people in their education and their future career. A poll of California's 9th and 10th graders conducted by the James Irvine Foundation found that six in ten students didn’t particularly like school and were not motivated to succeed. But, of those students at risk of dropping out, more than 90% said they would be more motivated if their school offered classes that are relevant to their future careers.
• Students who make the connection between their education and their future career are less likely to drop out of school and more likely to transition to post-secondary education and fulfilling careers. The “Pathways to Prosperity” report shows that high school dropouts have: Lower employment level rates, lower earnings and an increased risk of falling into poverty. (Harvard Business School study)
• Schools are unable to meet the college and career planning needs of their student population. The current counselor to student ratio is 1 to 1,000 and will rise dramatically as recent budget cuts take effect. (Orange County Counselor surveys)
• Students have a limited view of how their individual skills, aptitudes, and talents align with the broad range of career options available. (Vital Link survey of participating students.)
It is now more important than ever to help students focus on the future of their education and identify a career that will allow them to reach their potential and acheive economic self-sufficiency.
Vital Link supports Project-Based Learning experiences. The student work is demonstrated at the STEM & the Arts Showcase - a three-day program held in April at the OC Fair & Event Center. Vital Link produces the showcase in partnership with Imaginology, in order to provide the teachers and their students with a platform to demonstrate their skills for industry representatives. These experiences help students build skills, gain confidence and make connections with potential employers.