BENEFITING: WOMEN FOR AFGHAN WOMEN INC
ORGANIZER: WOMEN FOR AFGHAN WOMEN INC
EVENT DATE: Mar 08, 2013
I have been a part of the WAW community ever since I was 9 years old. It was one of the few places that joined the Afghan population in New York and invested time in providing social services for Afghan adults and youth. Over the years I have witnessed the success of WAW's mission to empower Afghan women, especially in my own mother who has passed her drivers permit test and is now learning valueable computer skills thanks to WAW! These are the oppurtunities that she could not have seized elsewhere. These changes in women's lives can be supported by your support! Walk on March 8th by registering for WAW's walkathon on International Women's day! Register and get a free t-shirt and help us fundraise to continue empowering women!
1) Register to walk with us at Riverside Park, NYC on Friday, March 8th by joining here.
2) Host your own walkathon! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Can’t make it? You can also help by donating and fundraising for our current teams on this page! Share this page with family, friends, and everyone you know and ask them to donate to support our walk!
Your support will provide:
- $25 buys a metro card for a victim of domestic violence in NYC
- $50 supports one month of empowerment classes in NYC
- $100 buys one month’s supply of food for one child at a Children’s Support Center (CSC)
- $250 buys school supplies and books for five children at a CSC
- $500 pays for human rights trainings for local Afghan leaders
- $1,000 pays for a six-month stay for a woman in a WAW shelter, transitional house, or halfway house
- $2,500 supports medical care for a woman or child who has suffered extreme injuries
- $5,000 pays for legal aid to protect the rights of 150 women and girls
WOMEN FOR AFGHAN WOMEN (WAW) IS A GRASSROOTS, HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATION.
WAW IS DEDICATED to securing and protecting the rights of disenfranchised Afghan women and girls in Afghanistan and New York, particularly their rights to develop their individual potential, to self-determination, and to be represented in all areas of life: political, social, cultural and economic. We advocate for women’s rights and challenge the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise to influence attitudes and bring about change.
Share this Crowdrise page with your family and friends to get the word out about our walk and help raise money to SAVE the lives of Afghan women and girls like Gul Meena and Sahar Gul, who would have died if it was not for the support of WAW.