BENEFITING: The Empowerment Plan
Chance the Rapper and The Empowerment Plan are teaming up to raise $100,000 to sponsor 1,000 coats for the Chicago homeless.
Help them reach their goal by donating and you'll get entered to win some amazing prizes.
Donate $10 and get
• 1 entry to win 2 Bulls tickets or 2 White Sox tickets
Donate $50 and get
• 10 entries to win 2 Bulls tickets or 2 White Sox tickets
• 1 entry to win 2 tickets for the 2016 Chance the Rapper show of your choice
Donate $100 to sponsor a coat and get
• 25 entries to win 2 Bulls tickets or 2 White Sox tickets
• 5 entries to win 2 tickets for the 2016 Chance the Rapper show of your choice
• 1 entry to win 2 tickets for a Meet & Greet for the 2016 Chance the Rapper show of your choice
• A limited edition warmest winter 2016 screen printed poster
The Warmest Winter Chicago contest is over but you can still donate to the Empowerment Plan
The Empowerment Plan Coat- The EMPWR coat is a water-resistant and self-heating jacket, which can transform into a sleeping bag, or be worn as an over-the-shoulder bag when not in use. The coat is constructed of upcycled automotive insulation, fabric from Carhartt, and other materials provided by generous donors.
- The Empowerment Plan can produce 1,000 coats on a budget of $100,000. Our studies show that for each 1,000 coats distributed, we can save 14 lives. Each year approximately 7% of homeless individuals die from hypothermia. Our coat reduces this statistic by over 20%.
- It costs $100 to sponsor a coat, which covers the cost of labor, materials, and overhead expenses.
- While these coats will save lives this winter, our ultimate partnership goal is to bring an Empowerment Plan factory to Chicago.
About the CauseThe Empowerment Plan is a Detroit-based nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the homeless community. Our goal is to help build a better life for those that have become trapped in the cycle of homelessness. We mostly hire homeless parents from local shelters to become full time seamstresses so that they can earn a stable income, find secure housing, and gain back their independence for themselves and for their families.
Chance the Rapper & The Empowerment Plan Detroit have
partnered to bring EMPWR coats to Chicago
“An analysis by Chicago Coalition for the Homeless estimates that 125,848 Chicagoans were homeless in the course of the 2014-15 school year. This is partly based on the 20,205 homeless students who were identified by Chicago Public Schools (CPS).”
“Another 11.3% of students (2,279) lived in shelters, and 1.7% lived in motels (136), in a park or other “public place” (55), or in a temporary foster care placement (163).”
-Source: Chicago Coalition for the Homeless